Demographics - Home Shopping Network Customers
HSN customers are aged between 30 and 64 years and are predominantly female. The average income of an HSN customer is around $65,000. More details have been outlined below.
- HSN customers are aged between 25 and 65 years, according to Retail Dive. More than a half of HSN customers are in the 35-54 age range.
- HSN and QVC are direct competitors and they have recently merged. Because of this, it seems reasonable to assume HSN age demographic has changed. QVC main demographic is a woman aged between 35 and 64.
- The average between HSN and QVC age demographics is 30 – 64.5 years of age (calculated).
- By examining the customer satisfaction survey by Forrester Research, it is evident that older customers are most satisfied with HSN, which indicates HSN has more older than younger customers. Nevertheless, HSN has targeted millennial and younger individuals last year by broadcasting beauty makeover content to advertise its products.
- According to Retail Dive, 83% of HSN customers are female. This is confirmed by the fact that HSN often sells beauty products.
- The average income level of HSN customers is approximately $65,000.
- Because QVC and HSN have merged and are considered competitors, it seems safe to assume the two shopping networks share similar demographic profiles. QVC customers have at least a high school diploma, or more advanced education levels.
- A large portion of HSN customers are middle-aged women with families. Thus, it seems safe to assume a large portion of HSN customers is married.
- HSN operates in fulfillment centers located in California, Virginia, New York and Tennessee, where it serves customers. The company also has five outlet stores, two of which are located in Ohio. Nevertheless, the three biggest markets for HSN are Chicago, New York and Los Angeles.
In order to provide a demographic profile of HSN customers, we analyzed a range of sources, predominantly third-party reports that focus on the shopping network. In order to answer some parts of the query, we relied on the assumption that QVC and HSN customers are similar in terms of demographic profiles, because direct, reliable data specifically pertaining to HSN wasn't available. This assumption has been supported by the fact that QVC and HSN have been direct competitors prior to merging together.
In order to provide our estimation of HSN customer age demographics, we calculated the average demographic between QVC and HSN, led by the assumption that HSN customer age demographic has changed since it's merged with QVC, as follows:
HSN demographic age range: 25 – 65 years
QVC demographic age range: 35 – 64 years
[25+35]/2 = 30
[64+65]/2 = 64.5
Therefore, the estimated age demographic of Home Shopping Network customers is between 30 and 64.5 years of age.