Scott Brothers Global: Business Overview
Scott Brothers Global is a new company founded/incorporated in 2017. As an umbrella company, it has several brands including business segments and extensions. Some of these include Scott Living, Scott Brothers Entertainment, Property Brothers, Casaza, and the Scott Brothers. Below, is an overview of Scott Brothers Global and its businesses.
Brief Historical background
- Scott Brothers Global (SBG) is a lifestyle and entertainment company founded in 2017 by twin brothers Drew and Jonathan Scott in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States.
- While the brothers have been involved with real estate since they were teenagers, Scott Brothers Global started off as a film company when the brothers, in addition to their older brother, JD, founded Dividian Production Group in 2004.
- By 2010, Scott Brothers Entertainment was formed from Dividian Production Group before becoming Scotts Brothers Global in 2017, as an umbrella company.
- SBG's mission statement is "to build aspirational lifestyle brands, content, and experiences rooted in family, style, and fun.”
- While the corporation has operations in the US and Canada, its current headquarters is in Nashville, Tennessee, having been recently moved from its birthplace of Las Vegas.
- The company has two corporate offices: in Las Vegas and Toronto, Canada.
- According to its LinkedIn profile, it has 11-60 employees.
- Its top executives include the following:
- David Dembroski — President
- Laura Aldrich — Executive Vice President, Licensing
- Stephanie Pierotti — Vice President, Marketing
- Alina Duviner — Vice President, Communications
- Amy Mellen — Vice President, Production Design
- Michael Kim — Senior Vice President, Corporate Strategy & Leadership
- By virtue of its incorporation, Scott Brothers Global became an umbrella company to several brands which highlight its business segments, and other extensions. Some of these include Drew and Jonathan, Scott Living, Scott Brothers Entertainment, and Casaza.
Acquisitions, partnerships, and investments
- In May 2019, SBG acquired the Property Brothers brand and the related IP rights from its long-time producers since 2011, Cineflix Media. SBG's Scott Brothers Entertainment will take over the production of the popular show. Although, as part of the deal/partnership, Cineflix will partake in revenue benefits from the show.
- In September 2018, SBG partnered with Kohl's as the SBG launched its exclusive home lifestyle collection, Scott Living at Kohl’s. SBG sought to leverage the omnichannel retailer's market presence with over 1,100 stores in 49 states. The exclusive home collection is expected to launch by fall in 2019.
- SBG has partnered with Storm 8, a software developer, to develop the "Property Brothers" mobile game based on the popular show.
- SBG's most recent investment efforts have been channeled into enhancing the brand by investing in its teams and expertise. Also, as part of its plans for 2019, SBG hopes to continue its expansion drive.
- Senior Vice President, Mike Kim, leads SBG's business development in increasing "the company's revenue, digital media exposure, and market awareness, both nationally and internationally.
- SBG acquires customers and generates revenue mainly from "millions of viewers and fans through its multiple HGTV programs focused on home renovation and transformation."
Scott Living (retail)
- Scott Living was launched in 2015 by the Scott brothers. Its extension, Dream Homes by Scott Living, focuses on the design of customized, high-end, and luxurious home elements.
- Scott Living is headed by SBG's new VP of Production Design, Amy Mellen. She leads the design and creative team "on design direction for the brand’s nearly 2,500 SKUs (stock keeping units)."
- SBG's Scott Living is also situated in SBG's new headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Last year, Scott Living generated $250 million in revenue from the retail sales of its home collection consisting of a broad area rug collection, furniture, décor, textiles, and bedding.
- In the fall of 2019, the brand hopes to expand its collection in about 1,100 Kohl’s locations across the U.S.
Property Brothers (Real Estate Business)
- The twin brothers were already involved in real estate as teenagers by renovating houses. They progressed in this line and in time, started their own real estate and construction businesses, Scott Real Estate, Inc. "This eventually caught the eye of producers and led to the beginnings of Property Brothers."
- The reality show features hosts Drew as a real estate expert and Jonathan as a licensed contractor. Together, the duo provides solutions to various housing issues for its clients.
- The show is watched by millions of fans in over 150 countries.
- Its new shows will be hosted in Las Vegas and Toronto.
- Casaza, SBG's latest venture that was launched in the US in October 2018, is "a consumer-facing design platform" where the brothers and their team of engineers showcase curated looks and designs.
- The aim was to provide a convenient platform "where visitors can be inspired and find everything they’ll need to renovate and rejuvenate their spaces, through curated content, high-quality products, and world-class professionals."
Scott Brothers Entertainment
- Scott Brothers Entertainment was launched as a film company by the Scott twin brothers in 2010 from Dividian Production Group, co-owned by their older brother.
- By 2013, the brothers, Drew and Jonathan, "shifted their focus from film to creating original content for television and digital platforms."
- "Scott Brothers Entertainment is a full-service independent production company driven by a passionate commitment to produce engaging content across all platforms."
- Scott Brothers Entertainment operates from SBG's corporate office in Toronto, Canada. However, it still has its development hubs in Nashville and Toronto.
- Some shows it has produced include HGTV Insider, Brother vs. Brother: Jonathan vs. Drew, and Home United.
- Through Scott Brothers Entertainment, SBG will produce the corporation's latest show, Property Brothers: Forever Home. The show is expected to premiere this summer.
'The Scott Brothers'
- "The Scott Brothers" is a music project that Drew and Jonathan embarked upon in 2015. As part of the project, the twin brothers wrote, recorded and released several songs/tracks with SB Records. They include:
- Hold On — 2015
- Let the Night Shine In — 2015
- My House (The brothers' own country spin on Flo Rida’s wildly popular single) — 2017
- "Hold On" garnered over 4 million views on both Vevo and YouTube. This was a huge contributing factor as the song hit "the Billboard Hot Country charts within the first month of its release."
SCOTT BROTHERS GLOBAL: EXTENSIONS
- In 2018, SBG launched GuruHub.tv, a digital video content platform, where "fans can get direct access to their favorite celebrities and social influencers."
- Drew & Jonathan is a platform where the twin brothers showcase various posts and updates for its followers and fans ranging from lifestyle, food, travel to family posts.
To provide an overview of Scott Brothers Global's businesses, we primarily visited its official websites, both through its home page and brand pages. While we were able to extract information with this approach, it was not sufficient to draft up a robust report. Hence, we looked into its various social media pages, especially Facebook. As a last resort, we extensively browsed through media reports and news aggregators. We then gathered available information from these steps and used them to synthesize this report.