Satellite TV Suppliers
At a global level, with 85% only in Europe, and despite a consensus credo that satellite TV is on its way out, direct broadcast satellite providers are still signing distribution deals with Société Européenne des Satellites (SES). Euroconsult anticipates that 300 satellites will be launched on average each year by 2026, both for government agencies and commercial organizations.
Croatian Digi TV
- In 2013, RCS&RDS SA sold Croatian satellite platform Digi TV to Vipnet, a subsidiary of Telekom Austria Group (TA Group). The latter already acquired B.Net (119,900 subscribers at that moment), which had a franchise agreement with Total TV, the satellite TV platform. At the beginning of 2018, Telekom Austria Group reported 211.000 subscribers to the Croatian pay-TV satellite sector.
- Launched in 2006, and with revenues of approximately $2M in 2012, Digi TV was a leading provider of satellite television in the Croatian market. After its integration into Vipnet, satellite TV became an essential part of the services offered by the Vip TV brand.
- RCS&RDS' decision to withdraw from the Croatian market made sense, considering Croatia's economic situation was unsure. As for the TA Group, the acquisition of RCS&RDS' operation helped B.Net to consolidate its position on the market.
Liberty Global plc
- Based in London, Denver, and Amsterdam, Liberty Global is one of the world's leading converged video, broadband, and communication companies. The company was formed in 2005 by the merger of Liberty Media and UnitedGlobalCom, Inc. (UGC) and had operations in six European countries under the consumer brands UPC, Telenet, and Virgin Media.
- In December 2018, M7 Group, a leading satellite Pay-TV operator in Europe, announced the acquisition of DTH satellite TV operations from Liberty Global plc. The latter was serving four markets in Eastern Europe (Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic), and had approximately 800,000 subscribers in total (100,600 subscribers in the Czech Republic and 265,900 in Hungary).
- Finally, Liberty Global was acquired by M7 in 2019 for €180M, with Merrill Lynch International acting as a financial adviser.
- Over the past few years, Total TV has been the most significant provider of digital satellite television in Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia, and Croatia, Macedonia. The launching point of the satellite platform is Telemach's existing satellite transponders on EUTELSAT 16A at 16East.
- In 2018, United Group, the largest telecom provider and Pay TV platforms in Southeast Europe, announced the sale of Total TV, a satellite TV distribution platform, to V-Investment Holdings BV. The buyer is an entity owned and controlled by Lyubomir Minchev, an entrepreneur and founder of Telelink Group. Given that the current population of Croatia is 4,111,658, it is correct to assume that Total TV had less than 1M subscribers.
- United Group also announced to provide full technical support to Total Television Ltd during the 12-month transitional period, as part of the transaction.