Sales Skills Assessment Content
The five content areas that should be covered in a best-in-class sales skills assessment are communication skills, effective prospecting skills, negotiation skills, business acumen, sales leadership. Other content areas that should be covered include presentation skills and time management skills.
CORE COMPETENCY IN BEST-IN-CLASS SALES SKILL ASSESSMENT WITH SKILL DESIGN
- As reported by Hubspot, during the early interview stages, communication skills are typically evaluated with written skills regarding sales skill assessment. Communication skills should be a core competency as these are used as crucial abilities when interacting with clients through emails or phone.
- Communication is the top key sales skill that every salesperson should possess because it is the foundation of developing a significant business relationship with a potential client.
- According to Fred Diamond, the Director and co-Founder of "The Institute For Excellence in Sales," clear communication is one of the top five sales competencies needed by salespeople today as it remains the foremost skill to measure the understanding of a salesperson to the selling process.
- Around 7% of conversations rely on communication content, while about 38% depend on communication tone, which makes the communication skill in sales an ability that every salesperson should master.
- Communication (oral or written) is one of the most valuable competency areas as a salesperson as it will measure how articulate and how simple for a salesperson to comprehend a conversation.
- Negotiation skills are an essential factor in sales skill assessment during an interview, according to interviewers. It is a vital instrument that any salesperson, sales team, and business can possess.
- One of the most crucial competencies is the ability to negotiate as a disciplined negotiation process leads to a significant business agreement. High stakes negotiations can cause an error that impacts price agreements.
- As listed by the sales app Spotio, the negotiation process is one of the best sales skills to achieve sales quota for one's team. When a salesperson is able to customize the deal according to the convenience of the client, it will lead to more sales for the company.
- According to the Sales Competence Model made by Sales Sense, negotiation is one of the sales competency factors highlighting preparation, methods, and skills.
EFFECTIVE PROSPECTING SKILLS
- Efficient prospecting skills, along with consistency, are core competencies of an adequate salesperson.
- Prospecting is a vital core competency sales skill that a salesperson should possess. Poor prospecting can cause buyers to turn down a business offer. For it to be useful, there should be a suitable strategic approach for new business opportunities.
- Prospecting can define high-performing sales teams. When it comes to systems, a salesperson can explore the industry's marketplace and learn the fundamental sectors to research, revealing friction points and an exemplary client profile.
- Strategic prospecting skills facilitate a salesperson to take advantage of the existing clients through referrals, which means they can end up identifying new prospecting customers that match the target market or ideal client profile.
- The President and CEO of the Anthony Cole Training Group, Tony Cole, lists consistent and efficient prospecting is one of the seven core sales competencies. As stated in Kurlan's Baseline Selling book, the steady nature of prospecting is more significant than being productive in technique.
- According to the Sales Competence Model made by Sales Sense, proactive prospecting is a sales competency factor that highlights motivation, planning, methods, and skills.
- Business acumen is necessary to create a great business, and it is critical. A salesperson should be able to understand and utilize business-level information to generate meaningful business conversations.
- As reported by Hubspot, this skill is an internal collaborator, helps individuals understand a complex situation, and helps them recognize what is beyond "block-and-tackle." As a result, business acumen is one of the most fundamental core competency areas in a best-in-class sales skills assessment.
- According to Golder, the Principal and CEO of Slingshot Growth Partners, business acumen is a required sales skill as it defines the competency and success of a salesperson in today's evolving sales industry.
- Sales leadership is one of the top sales competencies needed by a salesperson today as it reveals sales strategies and measures how much a salesperson understands the industry and customer.
- To be a prosperous salesperson, a culture-like sales leadership is necessary. It is considered to be crucial to a business.
- Around 65% of HQ companies have rated product knowledge as the most essential skill to measure sales competency like sales leadership skills, according to Allego.
- A lack of sales leadership creates barriers in evaluating the sales competency of a salesperson.
OTHER CORE COMPETENCY IN BEST-IN-CLASS SALES SKILL ASSESSMENT WITH SKILL DESIGN
- Presentation skills are vital to examine a salesperson's confidence regarding the product and service they market. Presentation skills can be displayed intensely to prospecting customers during a sales conversation if a salesperson is proficient.
- It is the most inevitable component of the selling process, which makes it valuable and is administered by numerous salespeople. It should be focused on the client's business challenges and requirements.
- Time management is also self-management, and it is an important factor influencing the success of sales. A salesperson should supervise themselves to the task and address each part systematically.
- One of the top sales skill assessments used to hire salespeople is the capability for time management as this is linked to prioritization.
OTHER HELPFUL FINDINGS
- According to sales managers, they assess a salesperson through the following skills:
- Sales competency assessment trends in the future include a shift in core competency in sales skill assessment, which will involve peer feedback, role-playing, live ride-alongs, formal certification, quizzes, video recording, call recording, and activity tracking.
- The barriers to assessing the sales competency of salesperson are the lack of leadership, systematic metrics, focus, etc.
- Modern core competencies for sales representatives include customer focus, planning and organization, result orientation, flexibility, and goal achievement.
To determine the best-in-class sales skills assessment core competency, given the content areas/core competencies, we searched for articles, press release, journals, and media coverage about effective prospecting, sales call execution, communication skills, negotiation skills, business acumen, sales leadership, and strategic account management as a core competency for best-in-class sales skills assessment. To determine the content covered in best-in-class sales skills assessment, we utilized the following metrics:
- The content (core competency) area should be employed by HR/skill assessment companies.
- The content (core competency) area should be typically be mentioned in articles, as well as reputable and trusted company blog posts in assessing salespersons.
- The content (core competency) area should be recommended by industry experts or leaders.
After determining the content (core competency) areas that should be covered in a best-in-class sales skills assessment, we provided a summary of what is being assessed, description of the best ways to assess the core competency and an explanation why it is considered best-in-class. Also, we identified additional content that is likely to be found in multiple sources and other findings on the trend and barriers for content areas that should be covered in a best-in-class sales skills assessment.