Sales Capability Best Practices
Best practices for how CPGs recruit, build, and retain top talent includes targeting millenials, promoting flexible work schedules, and focusing on training, development, and growth of employees. The details are outlined below.
Target Millennials for Hire
- With baby boomers on the way to retirement, many CPGs face the problem of losing their high-performance sales force and all the knowledge and experience that accompanies it. As such, companies are forced to fill the spaces before the exit of the baby boomers.
- Millennials are highly concerned about financial stability as well as the reputation of the company they will work or are working for. This will influence recruitment as well as retention of millennials.
- Reaching out to millennials now will allow companies to transfer the existing experience that is within their companies before those talents leave. It has been estimated that by 2020 more than half of the US workforce would be millennials.
- More millennials are currently gravitating towards sales, which is optimal as their qualities make them best suited for this path.
- With a younger salesforce, CPGs are able to get new and fresh perspectives while still being able to transfer experience through employee development.
- Time Warner Retail is an example of a CPG that is employing the best practices of focusing millennials and hiring younger aged staff.
Promotion of Flexible Work Conditions
- Sale positions in CPGs have been known to involve relocation, a reason many persons leave some CPGs.
- Relocation is a key factor as to why many salespersons leave their positions and as a result, many companies have tried to implement more flexible solutions to avoid losing talents.
- Companies have started to allow people to work remotely to allow them to remain living where they are and avoid relocation. This promotes recruitment as well as growth and retention of a CPG’s salesforce.
- Dell Technology Services is an example of a CPG that allows some employees to work remotely with flexible hours as a method of satisfying and building employee relationships.
Focus on Training, Development, and Growth of Employees
- People, including millennials, have become more interested in their development and growth in a company.
- Companies that show concern in the further development and growth of their employees tend to have an edge over those that do not, further building their salesforce and maintaining the talents they already have.
- With the room for growth, persons no longer have to leave jobs to further their training or growth.
- Bonobos is a CPG, that contains various programs to increase employee development.
To conduct our research, we visited social media pages, as well as the websites of experts and practitioners in the field, including recruitment sites. The Journal of Marketplace Management provided us with an insight into the problems CPG sales forces face with the change in a generation. This article provided us with the solution for these problems and various ways to attract the cohort of persons that are needed for the salesforce.
Each best practice was further backed up with articles from business websites such as, Business2Community and Monster. These provided us with examples of CPGs that employed some listed methods of recruitment and retention of salesforce employees. Peak Sales Recruiting and Business LinkedIn also provided us with articles that confirmed these best practices and listed examples of CPG companies which are employing them.