Ruth's Chris Steak House - Company Background
Ruth's Chris Steak House is an international company that operates company-owned and franchisee-owned restaurants throughout the globe, albeit most of their locations are within the US. Further details about Ruth's Chris Steak House are given below.
- Ruth's Chris Steak House was founded in 1965.
- The company started when Ruth Fertel, the founder, purchased the 60-seat 'Chris Steak House' restaurant located near the New Orleans Fair Ground racetrack.
- Ruth mortgaged her house for $22 thousand in order to purchase the 'Chris Steak House'.
- That originally purchased restaurant was destroyed in a fire, after which Ruth decided to transform her restaurant into a 160-seat facility and relocated it nearby.
- The terms of the original purchase dictated that Ruth could not use the original restaurant's name, i.e. 'Chris Steak House', so she named the new restaurant Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is where the Ruth's Chris Steak House brand was born.
- Ruth opened a second restaurant in 1972, which marked the expansion of the Ruth's Chris Steak House brand.
- The second restaurant was located in a suburb of New Orleans called Metairie.
- The first franchisee-owned restaurant for Ruth's Chris Steak House was opened in 1976 in Louisiana.
- The company went public in 2005 when the company and some shareholders completed the initial public offering of the company's common stock.
- The company is listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the ticker symbol "RUTH".
- Craig Miller, chief executive at Ruth's Chris Steak House, said that franchising is key to the restaurant's international growth. He said at the Reuters Food Summit in Chicago, "When you license or franchise, you are not putting your own human capital or financial capital at risk. It’s a way of taking advantage of where the window is in the marketplace."
Number of Locations
- There are a total of 156 Ruth's Chris Steak House restaurants globally.
- The company owns and operates a total of 78 restaurants, out of the total 156.
- 3 restaurants, out of the total 156, are operating under contractual agreements.
- 75 restaurants, out of the total 156, are franchisee-owned.
- Out of the 75 franchisee-owned restaurants, 20 are located internationally including Aruba, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, and Taiwan.
- Ruth's Chris Steak House is located at 1030 W. Canton Ave. Suite 100, Winter Park, FL 32789.
- The company abandoned its New Orleans headquarters due to the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina.
- Ruth's Chris Steak House is a subsidiary of Ruth's Hospitality Group, Inc. and some members on the management team of these two are common.
- The C-Suite team at the company includes Michael P. O'Donnell (Chief Executive Officer & Chairman, Ruth's Hospitality Group, Inc.), Arne G. Haak (Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer), Cheryl Henry (President & Chief Operating Officer, Ruth's Hospitality Group, Inc.), and Kevin Toomy (President & Chief Operating Officer, Ruth's Chris Steak House).
There appear to be more than a single agency that Ruth's Chris Steak House is working with simultaneously. Details about a couple of them, with links to examples of creatives, are given below.
- Ruth's Chris Steak House is a client of &Barr. Examples of &Barr's work for the recent Tastemaker Dinners campaign by Ruth's Chris Steak House can be found here.
- Another agency that Ruth's Chris Steak House recently partnered with is UproarPR. An example of UproarPR's work for Ruth's Chris Steak House can be found here.