Ruby's Inn, Part 1
We provided a competitive analysis of three comparable businesses close to Bryce National Park; Ruby's Inn, Bryce Canyon Pines, and Bryce Canyon Resort. While all three of them had some negative reviews, Bryce Canyon Pines had more positive reviews, in part because of the food at their restaurant. This spreadsheet contains further details of our findings.
HOW RUBY'S INN COMPARES TO BRYCE CANYON PINES AND BRYCE CANYON RESORT IN TERMS OF THEIR APPEAL AS TOURIST DESTINATIONS
- Ruby's Inn has 368 rooms and an estimated 95,045 room rentals annually. The amenities are normal for a Best Western Hotel, but the reviews give the impression of an older building which needs significant upgrades. Heating and cooling, door frames, food, and staff all received lackluster reviews. The full information is available on the attached spreadsheet.
- Bryce Canyon Pines is a small family owned motel with the standard footprint of drive-ups with some approximately 30 rooms on the second floor. They have approximately 7,748 rooms rented annually. The age of the facility led to some negative reviews, but the homemade food at the restaurant received positive reviews. The full information is on the attached spreadsheet.
- Bryce Canyon Resort has 77 rooms and has about 18,337 rentals per year. The reviews are moderate.
- The demographics from the Utah Travel website provide personal, income, and ethnicity statistics for the state.
- "My husband and I have enjoyed many Best Westerns, but this one was awful."
- "The rooms are clean, well appointed, and fresh. The toiletries are high grade, and the linens and towels are luxurious. No skimping on any of the amenities.
- The complimentary breakfast buffet was delicious."
- Personal — The average age of people visiting Ruby's Inn is 44 years, with an average annual income of $82,400. 42% of the visitors are male, and 71% are married.
- Ethnicity — 90% of the visitors at Ruby's Inn are Caucasian, 1% are African American, and 6% are Hispanic.
- Household Composition — 11% of the visitors stay alone, 37% of the households comprise two people, and 53% consists of three or more people.
- Some unique attractions at Ruby's Inn include its color satellite TVs, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and spas, hot tubs, free high-speed internet (Wi-Fi), and free parking, among others.
BRYCE CANYON PINES
- "We were pleased with our room, from its spaciousness and the comfortable bed to its end/corner placement that afforded us privacy along with open views to the grazing horses and mountains. Even though it was mid-May we had cool-to-cold temperatures, so the electric fireplace came in handy for heat as well as ambiance; plus we used the room’s general heater as well. The onsite restaurant, where we had three meals, is very convenient, in addition to the food being quite good. People come from all over to dine there and it’s also known for its pie."
- "Our main problems with this motel are 1. The heater/AC was extremely noisy 2. Not enough places to hang wet bath towels 3. The motel added a 4% surcharge to our bill upon arrival as we used a credit card. This detail was not shown on their website or on our confirmation email. They also sent us an email after our return home that said we owed them 49 cents. We have no idea why. 4. The motel desk never answered the toll-free number. You had to call on the local number. Didn't always respond to emails quickly, either."
- Some special attractions at Bryce Canyon Pines include its cottages and family suites, deluxe rooms with optional fireplace equipped with a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot, on-site restaurant, outdoor swimming pool, hot tubs, a grocery store, gas station, and guest laundry, among others.
BRYCE CANYON RESORT
- “I'm not sure what the definition of a resort is, but this is no resort. It's a collection of mismatched buildings in poor condition, a run-down restaurant, and a small pool next to a field on the other side of the property. Our room needed a lot of maintenance….. I didn't feel safe. Stay elsewhere.”
- "Breakfast was appalling, we got to the restaurant about 1/2 after opening to have to wait another 15 minutes for the buffet to be stocked but some food was un-eatable, would not feed it to my dog so put us off eating there for dinner."
- Some special attractions at Bryce Canyon Resort include free parking, an outdoor pool, paid internet, and public Wi-Fi, among others.
We had to extrapolate the annual number of visitors. We found an annual occupancy rate for the Utah county in which the businesses are located. For each we took the number of rooms in the business, multiplied by 365 to get the available number of room rental nights and then multiplied it by the occupancy rate percentage.
Business Rooms Days Occupancy Rate Estimated Annual Rooms Booked
Ruby 368x 365x 70.76% = 95,045
Bryce Canyon Pines 30x 365x 70.76% = 7,748
Bryce Canyon Resort 71x 365x 70.76% = 18,337
We interpreted the request for demographics for the area as the state and found detailed demographics at the Travel Utah website.