The Role of Scent in Fabric Softeners
We were unable to find hard data or statistics regarding the role scent plays in determining which fabric softener people choose in the U.S. However, the following findings might be useful:
- In Australia, scent is the 4th reason (12%) for buyers to acquire a fabric softener.
- A recent survey by IFRA UK and the European Cleaning Journal (ECJ) stated that scent is one of the most important factors when buying cleaning products, as fragrances influence consumer choices and they play a role in the perception of “cleanliness.”
- "Gain" scents have become popular with U.S. consumers.
- A pleasant smell is very important for consumers when purchasing cleaning products.
- Consumers frequently relate pleasant aromas with making "the tasks of laundry and cleaning easier and more enjoyable."
- Detergent manufacturers are always working on formulas for new fragrances and how to make them last longer on fabrics.
- Because different scents appeal to different cultures, some brands have developed specific scents for specific types of consumers (such as Hispanic consumers).
- For consumers, clean laundry smell is the scent that reminds them of "clean," which could be the scent of the detergent or the fabric softener.
We were unable to find hard data or statistics regarding the role scent plays in determining which fabric softener people choose and determining where scent ranks in terms of importance when selecting a fabric softener in the U.S.
When looking for this data we used the following strategies:
First, we consulted reports regarding fabric softeners or other laundry products in the U.S. that could provide consumer behavior data and statistics surrounding the key drivers when buying fabric softeners. We found some reports, one specific to the U.S. and two global reports that provide consumer behavior data (Sources 2 and 3), but all of them are pay-walled. Nonetheless, we added all three of them as sources, as they may be useful to the client.
Next, we consulted sites like Statista and Statistic Brain, in order to find hard data on consumer key drivers when buying fabric softener. However, these sites did not provide any data, and only provided studies like " Fabric conditioner recent consumption in South Korea " and "Fabric softener sales in the United States in 2018, by product type."
We then tried broadening the search criteria and began searching for sources regarding the importance of scent in household or cleaning products. While this strategy provided us with articles that contained useful insights, which we included in our findings, the articles did not contain any hard data or statistics regarding the role scent plays in determining which fabric softener people choose in the U.S.
Finally, we tried finding the data in sources outside the U.S. in order to provide more information that might be useful. We were able to find the article "Fabric Softener Reviews," which provided us with statistics from a survey made to Australian consumers on their key drivers when purchasing fabric softeners.
We can conclude that scent plays an important role in determining which fabric softener to purchase. Even though we were not able to back up this information with hard data or statistics, this can likely be found in the paywall sources we provided.