Robotics Industry Research (2)
This spreadsheet and research brief presents the world's top 10 robotics companies identified across various sources based on factors such as market cap, revenue, and innovation. These companies include iRobot Corporation, Fanuc Corporation, ABB Robotics, DJI, among others. The industrial robotics market is saturated by four key players: Fanuc, Yaskawa, Kuka, and ABB. In order to present a YOY trend in the employee count, the research team presented data from LinkedIn as it offers this comparison. Although other sources would give a different value for the total count, unless a comparison was presented, the research team made the assumption that the increase/decrease ratio would be best presented using this company data. By using an advanced feature (Sales Navigator), the research team was also able to determine where most of the employees come from, hence demonstrating how people move around in this industry. Screenshots of this tool have been presented under the brief for each company. The order provided below does not demonstrate the actual order of "top" as defined above. In addition to the spreadsheet, the research team presents this graph to offer a side by side comparison of the 10 companies presented here.
TOP 10 ROBOTICS COMPANIES
#1. iRobot Corporation
- The company's 'career' page offers an overview of the current open positions, a description of the onboarding process, and insights into the company culture.
- The image below shows the count of current employees that have come from other employers. Top on the list for iRobot employees is Bose Corporation with 47 employees. This image is taken from a filtered search on the LinkedIn platform.
#2. Fanuc Corporation
- The research team was able to get revenue and overall employee data but was unable to get a source that showed the breakdown of employees on a global scale. The annual revenue in the attached spreadsheet is presented in dollars ($). A search through press releases, annual reports, and other external platforms like LinkedIn and D&B revealed that the research team may have to triangulate to provide an estimate of this number based on data for Fanuc America Corporation.
- The research team can present a calculated estimate for the different roles based on the data available for the branches that have data available on LinkedIn:
- Global employee count: 7,866.
- Fanuc America: 1,140, Fanuc Europe: 270, and Fanuc India: 386.
- Total employee count: 1,796.
- The employee data that has been compiled for the three locations will be based on these functions; engineering, sales, operations, information technology, business development, and program and project management.
- This company was included in our list because of its market cap: $50.687 billion.
- The data presented below shows the employees' previous places of employment alongside the count. ABB: 28.
#3. ABB Robotics
- The research team was able to determine the revenue generated from its robotics division by searching through the company's annual reports. This data represents the global robotics and discrete automation division.
- Since the data for the fourth quarter has not yet been published, the research team has presented data for 2018 and 2019. The company released its financial report for 2019, where it revealed that the company reported a decline in orders in its robotics and discrete automation division of 34%. This decline is, in addition to other factors, was attributed to the COVID-19 outbreak in China.
- According to the 2019 global report, $3.3 billion in revenue and had 10,100 employees. The employee count presented in the spreadsheet is based on this division only. The company's total employee count surpasses 91,000, and therefore, an estimation based on the overall distribution of employees per department could be too inaccurate. As a result, the research team has indicated that this data was not publicly available.
- To determine where the majority of employees worked before ABB Robotics, the research team was unable to find this data for this specific division. As such, the data presented below shows the companies that have had the most people move to ABB, alongside the count. The largest count here is from GE with over 1,500 employees.
#4. Rockwell Automation
- This company's share price and market cap are $209.67 and $24.28 billion, respectively. It is ranked among the top seven robotic companies by investors. The company's website has a page on careers that offers insight into the talent acquisition and onboarding process. It provides insight into the type of individuals that the company is currently seeking out.
- Although the research team was unable to provide further insight into how the talent acquisition staff search for new talent, we were able to determine where most of these individuals come from, based on the chart below. Seimens: 381.
#5. Intuitive Surgical
- The revenue data for this company was sourced from financial reports and news releases on trusted sites: Forbes and MacroTrends. The research team was unable to find financial reports for 2020 as the financial reports for the last quarter of 2020 are yet to be published.
- Additionally, the research team was unable to find any additional insight into the talent acquisition process. However, the chart below shows where most of these individuals come from.
- Medtronic: 200.
- The careers page on the company website provides additional insight into the hiring process. However, the talent acquisition team is always on the lookout for people that have the qualifications and the qualities that the company would seek in individuals joining the team.
- Although this company is one of the top competitors in the global robotics industry, it does not publicly publish its annual reports, hence, the research team was unable to determine the employee count with accuracy and even present a YOY change. As such, we relied on employee data on LinkedIn to provide a comparison.
- Although this is one of the largest companies in the robotics field, it is still a private company, which is why it does not make its financial information public as well. Our research team, using other online sources that provide an estimate, presents the annual revenue of this company as approximately $4.5 billion. According to a report released at the beginning of 2018, the revenue for 2017 was $2.3 billion. In this report, the company leadership continued to provide an overview of what they will do in the following year and how this could result in an increase in revenue. For this reason, we can conclude that the estimate provided by external sources could be within reason.
- This company qualified to be on this list based on its valuation: $15 billion.
- The careers page on the company website provides insights into the open positions, the testimonials of other employees, and the company culture.
- The data presented below shows the employees' previous places of employment alongside the count. Huawei: 31.
- This company qualified to be on this list based on its market cap and revenue: $1.801 billion and $3.576 billion, respectively.
- The research team was unable to determine how this company acquires new talent. Additionally, the company does not seem to have a page on its website that offers insights into the onboarding process. The data presented below shows the employees' previous places of employment alongside the count. ABB:78.
- Comau qualified to be on this list because it has been recognized as a leader in this industry. We have also presented the details of this company because of its employee count on LinkedIn. This is a private company that is a subsidiary of the automotive giant, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
- The career page on the company website provides insights into the company, its core values, the selection process, and the categories in the application process: students, graduates, and experienced candidates.
- The data presented below shows the employees' previous places of employment alongside the count. FCA Fiat Chrysler Automobiles: 86.
#9. Yaskawa Motoman
- Yaskawa Motoman is a leader in the robotics industry in the Americas. Although the employee count presented here as a year to year comparison is from LinkedIn, research has revealed that the global company has over 13,000 employees and its revenue for 2018 was 474.6 billion Yen ($4.5 billion).
- The career page provides an overview of the company, a search job section, and a FAQ section that addresses four main areas: If this is the right place for an individual, how to apply, the advantages, and whether the prospective candidate can still apply even though they are a student.
- The data presented below shows the employees' previous places of employment alongside the count. ABB: 11.
- This company was included in this list because of its market cap and revenue: $21.944 billion and $2.295 billion, respectively. The career page on the company website provides insights into the subsidiary companies, the nine possible career paths that one can explore, the different company locations, and a "sign up now" call to action button that would allow them to be part of the community before applying for a position.
- The data presented below shows the employees' previous places of employment alongside the count. Hewlett Packard Enterprise: 85.