Robin Farmanfarmaian Bio
Robin Farmanfarmaian works as a "professional speaker". She is also an entrepreneur as well as an angel investor working on companies that use cutting edge tech. She is poised to impact about 100 million people or even more. She currently functions as the Vice President of Actavalon. She is the Strategic Relations Advisor to MindMaze, and a co-founder of the Organ Preservation Alliance and Somni-Labs. The requested details around her biography can be found below.
1.0 BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
- Born as Princess Robin Starbuck Soloway Farmanfarmaian, she was born and raised in the city of Amherst, New Hampshire. Farmanfarmaian attended and graduated from Boston University, where she obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management.
- Farmanfarmaian's mother, Dr. Wendy Tinklepaugh, was a pediatrician while her father, Nick Soloway, is the founding partner and an Intellectual Property Attorney at Hayes Soloway with locations in New Hampshire and Arizona. Nick is also an entrepreneur in the Tucson area.
- Farmanfarmaian also attended the Golden Gate University, John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University and took executive program classes at Harvard University, Stanford University, and Singularity University.
- Robin Farmanfarmaian was born to the Starbuck family, one of the founding families of Nantucket, the Macys, and the Folgers, which date back to 1667. The Starbucks pioneered the fishing industry whaling activities for over 100 years and, at a point, owned some of the largest ships in the world.
- Robin Farmanfarmaian is a relative of both the Coffins and Starbucks of Nantucket. She carries the Starbuck name which is the custom in her lineage for first-born daughters.
- She attended a boarding school program of the Lawrence Academy and Kimball Union Academy. She was a Tri-Varsity Athlete in Ice hockey, field hockey, and lacrosse. She now lives and works in Palo Alto, California.
- Insights from the U.S. Public Records Index reveals that Robin Farmanfarmaian was born to the Starbuck family in 1972. She is currently 47 years old.
- Many leading medical facilities misdiagnosed Robin Farmanfarmaian at the early stage of her life (as a teenager). She endured numerous surgeries, hospitalizations, and the loss of three body organs before taking control of her health and deliberately changing her life overnight.
- In her teenage state, Farmanfarmaian was misdiagnosed and considered as having an autoimmune disease which led to about 43 hospital admissions and 6 major surgeries. Her unique personal experience, as well as biomed work, helps her to prove that technology can empower patients and creates a positive impact on health.
- Robin took a decision to decide the next step of treatment, fired her entire medical team, and acted as the CEO of her health. She successfully weaned off a high-dose of methadone, got a correct diagnosis, and put the illness affecting her into remission.
- Barely a few years after her surgeries, medicine seemed to change dramatically — unfortunately, none of her doctors saw these changes coming. From Dartmouth Hitchcock medical unit to Harvard’s Mass General, no doctor advised her to “wait!" In just a few years after her numerous surgeries, surgery fundamentally changed with the widespread adoption of laparoscopic surgery, thereby reducing the need for multiple major surgeries by five times.
- She reveals that just a few more years after her major surgeries, a new class of medications became available to put patients in remission. These medications completely eradicated the need for surgery. Unfortunately, none of her doctors ever told her that "Technology is Hope." There is no defensible reason for her to lose three organs.
- Within the past decade, she has stayed on the front line of biotechnology and health technology breakthroughs, having founded and/or advised about 12 industry startups.
- Robin Farmanfarmaian currently lives in California, USA, from where she travels and earns about $15,000 to $20,000 per speech.
- Farmanfarmaian was once married to a Persian prince known as Qajar Dynasty, Prince Mansoor Valley Farmanfarmaian. However, she is now divorced.
- Farmanfarmaian gives support to many charities such as Samasource. She is also a TEDx donor. She has offered mentorship services at 500 Startups (an incubator) and sits on the scientific advisory board of CloudLIMS. Individually, she mentors a minimum of one entrepreneur per week.
- Whenever Farmanfarmaian is not mentoring, volunteering, or advising, she enjoys cooking. She learned under a 5-star chef at the cooking lab of Boston University's School of Hospitality Management. She also studied the chemistry of food cooking during her stay at Boston University.
2.0 COMPANIES ROBIN FARMANFARMAIAN HAS WORKED FOR
- Robin Farmanfarmaian is the current Vice President of Actavalon.
- Actavalon is a company focused on Oncology. The treatment efforts of Actavalon target two fundamental cancer pathways being the "p53 tumor suppressor" pathway as well as the "Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor (AhR)" pathway.
- Actavalon headquarters are located at the Johnson & Johnson Innovation Labs campus in San Diego, California.
- The company has five employees and $1 million in annual revenue.
2.2 SINGULARITY UNIVERSITY
- Robin Farmanfarmaian has worked for Singularity University as its Vice President.
- Singularity University is a global learning institution and an innovation community that uses exponential technologies to tackle the top global challenges to build a better future for all.
- The Singularity University (SU) community is made up of entrepreneurs, global not-for-profit companies, corporations, governments, investors, and academic institutions located in over 127 countries. The community has over 5,000 impact initiatives, and is driving positive changes in several areas such as health, environment, education, security, energy, food, prosperity, water, space, shelter, disaster resilience, and governance.
- According to Crunchbase, Singularity University is also a startup accelerator and has between 101-250 employees.
- With its headquarters in Moffett Field, California, United States Singularity University has an estimated annual revenue of $5 million.
2.3 ARC FUSION PROGRAMS
- Robin Farmanfarmaian is the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Arc Fusion Programs.
- Arc Fusion is an organization dedicated to the fusion (i.e., combination) of health, information technology, biomedicine and everything else.
2.4 BOARD MEMBERSHIPS
- Farmanfarmaian is one of the advisory board members of V2Ventures SXSW, Alacrity, Doctella, Impact Pediatric Health, Advisory Board of AARP Health Innovation, Scientific Advisory Board at CloudLIMS, as well as an Angel List investor.
2.5 INNOVATION FOR JOBS
- Robin Farmanfarmaian has worked for Innovation for Jobs as its President.
- As the problem of unemployment persists, I4J (Innovation for Jobs), is dedicated to providing solutions. I4J started in 2011 at Stanford University and has, over the years, created a strong pool of ideas and an influential and inclusive community of several hundred thought leaders to innovate and redirect using AI to create better jobs for most people. The purpose of Innovation for Jobs (I4J) is to use innovation to disrupt unemployment through the creation of a people-centered economy.
- IIIJ Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and has its headquarters in Silicon Valley.
3.0 COMPANIES ROBIN FARMANFARMAIAN HAS INVESTED IN
3.1 INVICTA MEDICAL
- Robin Farmanfarmaian has invested in Invicta Medical.
- Invicta Medical is a medical-technology-based company that offers solutions for sleep apnea and inhaled insulin medication through a smart, connected device.
3.2 ORGAN PRESERVATION ALLIANCE
- Farmanfarmaian is the co-founder and served on the board of directors (once served as an Executive Director) with the Organ Preservation Alliance. The company strives to catalyze "breakthroughs in organ banking for transplants and tissue engineering."
- Organ Preservation Alliance (OPA) is a non-profit organization.
4.0 BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF TWO BOOKS WRITTEN BY ROBIN FARMANFARMAIAN
4.1 THE PATIENT AS CEO: HOW TECHNOLOGY EMPOWERS THE HEALTHCARE CONSUMER
- In her book titled The Patient as CEO: How Technology Empowers the Healthcare Consumer, Robin Farmanfarmaian reveals that from wearable sensors to advance point-of-care diagnostics down to artificial intelligence & robotics, breakthroughs in biomedical technology are made almost daily, which change how patients fundamentally interact with their healthcare providers.
- Her book, the Patient as CEO: How Technology Empowers the Healthcare Consumer, is a bestseller on Amazon.
4.2 THE THOUGHT LEADER FORMULA: STRATEGICALLY LEVERAGE YOUR EXPERTISE TO DRIVE BUSINESS & CAREER GOALS
- The Thought Leader Formula: Strategically Leverage Your Expertise to Drive Business & Career Goals, a paperback title written by Robin Farmanfarmaian is rated 5-star on a scale of 5 by all 15 customer reviews on Amazon.
5.0 BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF TOP 3 YOUTUBE TALKS BY ROBIN FARMANFARMAIAN
5.1 BE THE CEO OF YOUR HEALTH
- Her YouTube video titled "Be the CEO of your health" was presented on TEDx and has 2,498 views, 22 shares, five saves, and is available via this link.
- She opens the video by introducing herself and reveals that her life goal is to "positively impact a minimum of 100 million patients worldwide."
5.2 THE ERA OF THE PATIENT
- Her YouTube video titled The Era Of The Patient has 2,460 views and 17 shares. It is available via this link.
- She opens the video by introducing herself as a serial entrepreneur that has worked with several early-stage startups. She says she started working on cutting edge medical technology and biotechnology because as a teenager, she was misdiagnosed with an autoimmune disease.
5.3 HOW TECHNOLOGY CAN DISRUPT THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY [A-FEST TALK]
- Her YouTube video titled How Technology Can Disrupt The Medical Industry [A-Fest Talk] has 2,878 views, 45 shares, and one save. It is available via this link.
- As usual, she introduces herself as a serial entrepreneur that has worked with about 12 startup companies all in cutting edge medical technology.
- In the video, Robin Farmanfarmaian details how she was bold to take control of her health and how patient treatment and the medical industry will continue to be disrupted by technological innovations. She continues by apologizing for not being able to call her name (Farmanfarmaian) appropriately on the stage. She then tells them not to try remembering her last name before going into her actual speech. She gives details regarding how she was bold enough to take control of her health and how patient treatment and the medical industry will continue to be disrupted by technological innovations.
6.0 ROBIN FARMANFARMAIAN: PHILOSOPHY OF PATIENT CEO AND THOUGHT LEADERSHIP WORK
- Robin Farmanfarmaian belongs to the school of thought that thinks technological advancements and innovations are empowering patients to CEOs of their treatment processes. Wearables, storage devices, medical vital sign monitors, etc., will make treatment of patients more comfortable and more accurate. She dedicates her life to helping people avoid a similar situation that she once found herself in. She tries to help people stay away from misdiagnosis and preventable surgeries. She believes patients can also be thought leaders.