Recommendation Engine Landscape
The top 4 recommendation engines are Recolize, Qubit, Monetate, and Dynamic Yield. A competitive analysis of these recommendation engines has been provided in the attached spreadsheet. Dynamic Yield, Monetate/KIBO, and Qubit are larger companies with a diversified portfolio of products, targeting enterprise clients, while Recolize and Recombee are examples of startups competing in the space and serving small and medium-sized businesses.
- Some other notable recommendation and personalization engines include Nosto, Evergage (now Salesforce Interaction Studio), Unbxd, Magevolve, Richrelevance, Vue.ai, and Barilliance.
- Much more than a simple recommendation engine, Qubit was mentioned in 5 of the 7 analyzed sources as one of the top recommendation engines on the market currently. It has partnered with Google to use Google's AI technology to power its recommendations engine.
- Recolize has been mentioned as one of the top recommendation engines in 4 of the 7 analyzed sources. Recolize is a smaller company, primarily serving SMBs with a simple recommendation engine.
- Monetate has been mentioned in 4 of the 7 analyzed sources as one of the top recommendation engines. The company has been acquired by Kibo in 2016, and is now part of KIBO Intelligent Personalization Engine.
- Dynamic Yield has been mentioned as one of the top recommendation engines in 4 of the 7 analyzed sources. It is one of the most complex digital experience optimization engines on the market, while still being relatively simple to use.
- Recombee has only been mentioned in one industry article. It was listed as one of the top 5 recommendation engines for companies on a budget. A competitive analysis of Recombee is also provided in the attached spreadsheet, for easy comparison.
The digital experience optimization space, which includes recommendation and personalization engines among other things, is mostly occupied by small, private startups, or specific business units of very large enterprises like Salesforce and Oracle. Therefore, determining the top recommendation engines by revenue was not possible, because the companies either do not report revenue figures, or they do not report the revenue of a specific segment.
Even though we have identified an article titled "10 Best Selling Online Personalized Recommendation Engines" on Hackernoon, we were not able to independently verify the ranking, and the sales figures used for the ranking have not been provided in the article. Therefore, we have defined the top recommendation engines as those recommendation engines that have been mentioned as the top or the best engines by the greatest number of industry experts. We have cross-referenced seven different lists of the top recommendation engines, and selected those engines which appeared on the greatest number of lists.
Even though Evergage (now Salesforce Interaction Studio) has been mentioned on as many as 5 out of 7 different lists, it was not included in the competitive analysis because the software has many additional features besides a recommendation engine, and is actually part of the Salesforce CRM solution.