Company Analysis - Homelight and RankMyAgent
Homelight is a US company that was founded in 2012 while RankMyAgent is a Canadian-based company founded in 2013. Both have mainly positive reviews. Details on these reviews and more have been outlined below.
- HomeLight was founded by Drew Uher in 2012.
- The company's mission is to "connect home-owners looking to sell with real estate agents in their area who are likely to close quickly and get the best price for their homes."
- The company is headquartered in San Francisco, California, where it has over 100 employees.
- So far, the company has raised over $55 million in four funding rounds. This includes a Seed Round in February 2012 where it raised $1.5 million, another Seed Round in February 2015 where it raised $3 million, a Series A funding round in April 2016 where $11 million was raised, and a series B funding round in August 2017, where it raised $40 million. This was its largest and most recent round.
- As per HomeLight's website, its main investors are Zeev Ventures, Menlo Ventures, Google Ventures, SGVC Ventures, Citi Ventures, Bullpen Capital, Crosslink Capital, and Montage Ventures.
- HomeLight currently has an estimated revenue of $3.6 million annually.
- On most platforms, HomeLight is rated over 4 stars.
- On Highya, it has a 4.7/5 rating based on 586 reviews. It has the same rating on Shopper Approved based on almost 900 reviews, and on Site Jabber, it has a 4.5/5 rating based on 24 reviews. Most reviews are positive.
- A lot of reviewers report being pleased with HomeLight and the realtors they are referred to. Others mention that through a quick search, they were able to sell their homes quickly.
- RankMyAgent is a privately-held company that was founded in 2013 as an online platform for Canadians interested in buying, renting, or selling homes.
- It supports these home buyers/sellers by "connecting them with reputable real estate agents whose services are endorsed through the portal’s ratings and review function."
- The company is headquartered in Toronto, Ontario where it has less than ten employees.
- So far, RankMyAgent has not participated in any funding rounds neither are there any estimates on its revenue/valuation.
- The company has also not offered any information on its investors to the public.
- Reviews of RankMyAgent could only be found on Facebook. There, the company is rated 4.5/5 stars based on eight ratings - mainly positive.
- While most ratings had no comments, the few with comments expressed being satisfied with the platform.
- There was only one negative review from a user who had a distasteful experience with an agent found on RankMyAgent.
In order to gather the requested information on HomeLight and RankMyAgent, we first turned to their respective websites. This avenue helped us get their headquarters and year of establishment. Next, we examined company insight databases including, but not limited to Crunchbase, Pitchbook, and Angel. Homelight was found on all three platforms, therefore, the company's total funding amount, estimated revenue, and investors could easily be ascertained. RankMyAgent, on the other hand, did not appear on any of these databases. As an attempt to further find any financial information on RankMyAgent, we scoured financial news websites such as Forbes, Inc, and Business Insider. While some of these websites featured RankMyAgent, they mainly focused on what the company does, nothing was provided on its total funding amount, estimated revenue, investors, or reviews. As a last resort, we explored RankMyAgent's social media - LinkedIn and Facebook for any shared articles on their financial success or similar. Again, this was a dead end. As a result, the company's funding amount, investors, and revenue could not be found.