Public Policy: Trending Issues
Some of the top issues being discussed in the US surrounding public policy include government spending, healthcare, education and environmental policy.
- Government spending, especially since the 2017 tax reform, is currently a trending topic in public policy.
- Americans are concerned with the budget deficit which is obviously the result of government spending.
- "Fy 2020 federal budget" is currently a "breakout" search term on Google search, which means it has received a "tremendous increase" in searches recently. Also trending in this area include "fiscal year", "United States federal budget" and "total budget of USA".
- The Brookings Institute and Heritage Events Podcast have covered government spending recently.
- Healthcare, especially the cost of healthcare, is one of the major public policy concerns for Americans.
- One big issue within healthcare has been that of the Medicaid expansion option, as well as adding work requirements to Medicaid.
- Healthcare is considered important by 77% of Democrats and 59% of Republicans, although almost all Americans felt healthcare was more important than the Trump-Russia scandal.
- Public Agenda regularly covers healthcare, and the Policy 360 podcast recently released an episode entitled "The Connection Between Medicaid and Democracy."
- Education was noted as a public policy priority for 68% of Americans.
- This includes education funding and college tuition, as well as teacher salaries.
- This has been covered recently by Policy Cast, Institute for Policy Innovation, and the Faith Angle podcast.
- Environmental policy, especially around climate change, is one of the main concerns for policymakers and Americans alike.
- The majority of Americans feel that the US government is not doing enough to protect the environment and mitigate climate change.
- Recent coverage on this issue is plentiful, including from the Brookings Institute, Policy 360, and The Georgetown Public Policy Review.
Topics were selected as trending based on their mention in at least three reputable sources as top topics or topics of note in 2019.