Proof of Play Metrics
Proof of play, as a digital signage metric, is a term used in measuring and validating the effectiveness of a digital signage network. It enables the paying company to determine if the advertisement provider played their advert as promised. Captivate uses Captivate PLACES for a similar purpose.
Definition of proof of Play
- The Rave Agency defines proof of play as a "term used to describe the logging of data on media players." When companies pay for their adverts to be displayed, proof of play gathers the information that they could use to validate that the ad was played.
- Jimmy Schaeffler corroborates this definition by defining proof of play as a "metric for measuring the effectiveness of a digital signage network."
- Proof of play is also known as proof of posting or proof of performance.
What it entails
- Although most ads are likely to be played in 99% of cases, what counts as proof of play is the actual validation that "what was planned to play on a display did (or didn’t) play as expected". This is an important metric in measuring the success of the advert.
- However, proof of play does not ascertain if the display board is actually displaying at the particular time the ad was scheduled to be shown or if the display board was down, hence unable to display. It can only record when the content is scheduled to play and what content was played by the playback device without confirming if it was actually played or what content was actually displayed.
How it is used
- Proof of play pulls and stores data on the number of times the content is scheduled to play from the server of the playback device. The data is used by the advertiser to verify that the content they paid for is being displayed as agreed by the advertising provider.
What companies use it
- Proof of play is used by companies paying money to advertisement providers for digital out of home advertising.
If Captivate use it
- Captivate uses Captivate PLACES to aggregate and analyze their brand's campaign and effectively measure campaign ROI for digital out-of-home advertisements.
To provide an overview of proof of play, our research team searched for an analysis of proof of play as it relates to digital signage from several media publications, expert studies, and academic journals. While we found several publications on this topic with very similar explanation, we have selected a few publications with a concise definition and explanation. Then we extensively scoured through the website of Captivate to determine if they use proof of play but found out that they use an alternative platform that is similar to the functionality of proof of play. There was only one mention of proof of performance (which is also known as proof of play) on the website of Captivate which is a blog post.