Programmatic Digital OOH India: Ad Spend
The total ad spend on programmatic digital out-of-home (OOH) in India is approximately Rs 33.3 crore ($4.7 million).
- According to Indian business newspaper the Financial Express, India's current DOOH ad spending is Rs 100 crore, or approximately $14 million.
- Per this estimate, DOOH accounts for just 2% of the overall OOH market in the country, and is expected to grow to 5% of OOH in India by 2023.
- According to marketing publication WARC, India's current DOOH ad spending is Rs 150 crore, or approximately $21.1 million.
- Notably, DOOH accounts for 3%-5% of the overall OOH ad market in India, and is expected to grow between 20-25% over the next five years.
- Per Matt Brocklehurst, Google APAC's programmatic and platforms marketing lead, programmatic ad spending represents 33% of all digital ad spending in India.
Market Size Triangulation
- Using the Financial Express' estimate for India's DOOH market size, as well as Google's estimate for programmatic ad spending as a percentage of digital ad spending in India, the total ad spend on programmatic digital out-of-home in India is Rs 33.3 crore or $4.7 million.
An extensive review of credible media sources, DOOH industry reports and articles by experts in the digital and OOH advertising fields was conducted to ascertain the total ad spend on programmatic digital out-of-home in India. This search was not successful in identifying directly-compiled sources for this information. This is likely due to the highly specific nature of the request, which included a specific type of advertising (programmatic), within a specific segment of the advertising industry (DOOH), within a specific country (India).
However, a deeper search into the DOOH and digital advertising industries provided sufficient information to reasonably triangulate the total ad spend for this specific market.
First, the total size of the DOOH market in India was identified through two credible sources: WARC and Financial Express. Given that the Financial Express information (published in 2019) was more recent than the WARC data (published in 2018), the information provided by Financial Express was used as the most credible and recent estimate of total ad spending on DOOH in the country.
Second, the percentage of digital ad spending in India that is programmatic was identified through one credible source: Google.
Using this information, the total ad spend on programmatic digital out-of-home in India was triangulated. Specifically, we multiplied the size of the DOOH market in India by the percentage of digital ad spending in the country that is programmatic. The associated calculation is provided above for reference purposes.
Meanwhile, forecasts related to the growth in programmatic DOOH ad spending in South Asia are available within this article for reference as helpful.