AAA Fun Facts
Founded more than a century ago, AAA has plenty of "fun facts". Some of these are provided below.
- In 1920, the association launched the "AAA School Safety Patrol in Illinois through the Chicago Motor Club". The patrollers wore brightly colored belts and silver badges, which become symbols of AAA’s interest for the safety of children, pedestrians, and traffic.
- In 1932, AAA trademarked the TripTik routing map.
- In 1942, the association signed an agreement with American Airlines. This was its first national sales agreement.
- In 1949, the association granted the first Gold Lifesaving Medals to AAA School Safety Patrollers in acknowledgment of their heroic acts.
- In 1958, AAA published the Planned Pedestrian Program, a study of tested methods for saving pedestrian lives.
- In 1960, the association won an award from the National Association of Travel Organizations for its cooperation in Visit the USA Year declared by President Eisenhower.
- In 1981, it introduced the AAA Supernumber (800-AAA-HELP), a free "emergency information service for members traveling outside their home club area". The service was launched nationwide in 1982.
- In 1984, it co-published the AAA North American Road Atlas, the first one to use all AAA maps and not another company's imprint. In 1985, it was sold at retail outlets and made "the New York Times best-seller paperback list".
- In 1994, it teamed with Walt Disney World to open the Ocala Travel Center in Florida, which provides membership and services like theme park tickets, hotels, TripTik routings, among others.
- In 2000, the association received an award from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTS) in recognition of its "leadership in the Child Passenger Safety Certification Program", which instructs how to install child safety seats.
- In 2009, the association released its first mobile application, AAA Roadside, to enable users to request roadside assistance. In 2011, it launched the AAA Insurance app, which guides users through the process of gathering photos and information and requesting a tow truck after a crash.
- Recently, the association sued Rochester-area AAA Logistics for violating the trademark law with the use of AAA in its name and the insignia on its trucks.
- In 2018, AAA purchased a large electric-car fleet from Volkswagen, as its plan to stay relevant as electric cars "begin to upend the norms of road transportation".
- Also in 2018, AAA acquired GoMentum Station, the largest autonomous vehicle test site in the U.S.
- AAA currently has a rating of 3.4 out of 5 stars in Glassdoor.