Product Manager Qualifications and Responsibilities - Amazon
Information on the basic qualifications and responsibilities of Amazon's product manager, senior product manager, principal product manager, director of project management, and senior director of product management have been provided below.
- At Amazon, a product manager is tasked with developing products and services by working with the engineering team to drive implementation.
- A product manager is responsible for the development of product strategy.
- A product manager will work with executive leaders of different segments to drive business development and iterate Amazon's business vision.
- A product manager must have over five years of experience in product management or marketing and has worked with the U.S. Federal Government for over three years.
- An MBA degree.
- A product manager must be experienced in "defining and delivering on a product road-map."
Senior Product Manager
- At Amazon, a senior product manager is responsible for defining the requirement of their products, the go-to-market strategy, and managing the need of their customers.
- A senior product manager is responsible for the managing of the life cycle of Amazon products from planning to execution.
- A senior product manager is tasked with "driving sales by enabling business development and sales teams, leading calls with key customers, creating tools to support the success, helping to identify opportunities to increase that success."
- A senior product manager must possess over six years of experience in product management or market.
- A bachelor's degree in a related field.
Principal Product Manager
- A principal product manager at Amazon is responsible for defining and developing the next generation of Amazon products.
- A principal product manager will collaborate with the "design and product teams from partner organizations".
- A principal product manager will also have to define "creative, high quality, and simple product road maps based on product strategy and vision."
- A principal product manager must possess over 10 years of experience in managing consumer-facing software products.
- A bachelor's degree or higher in any technical-related field.
- A principal product manager will have over five years of experience with "product management or technical leadership on software platform products".
Director of Product Management
- A director of product management at Amazon is responsible for the development and leading of the "organization through change, evolution, and sustained growth" and also build an organization that is focused on innovating for the customer.
- A director of product management is tasked with developing a business strategy that is focused on building and growing their customers for the long term by building an "innovative, best-in-class user experiences that will delight customers, driving new functionality that enables more business to move to the cloud, launching and growing new services, and enabling an ecosystem that we can grow along with our business."
- A director of product management is also responsible for "thinking across a range of products and services, as well as identify and build exceptional user experiences and deliver opinionated developer experiences for modern application development."
- A director of product management must possess 10 years experience or more in project management with internet business.
- Must have 10 years experience or more in "translating customer needs into features, pricing models, and merchandising opportunities to deliver unparalleled customer experience."
- A director of product management must also have not less than seven years experience in "building and leading product teams with an emphasis on scaling them to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business".
Senior Director of Product Management
- A senior director of product management is responsible for leading a team of product managers and UX professionals to improve Amazon's "rate of execution, experimentation and idea validation, and ultimately deliver discontinuous positive results to their creators and the business".
- A senior director of product management will be at the forefront of the "ideation, technical development, and launch of innovative products".
- A senior director of product management is also responsible for driving product development and integrate "usability studies, research and market analysis into product requirements to enhance user satisfaction".
- A senior director of product management must possess over 10 years of experience in consumer product management.
- A senior director of product management must have successfully led a hyper-growth, revenue generating product.
To provide the qualifications and responsibilities of the listed positions at Amazon, the research team searched on the job application portal of Amazon's website. While we found most of the listed positions, there was no information on the following positions; associate product manager, group product manager, and VP of product management. We searched on third-party job listing websites such as — but not limited to — Glassdoor, Indeed and LinkedIn, none of the three job positions could be found. Furthermore, we searched for similar positions by Amazon that could relate to the unavailable positions but did not find convincingly similar positions. Hence, we have concluded that those positions do not exist at Amazon.