Private Search Engines
A thorough assessment of the privacy policies provided by the 13 private search engines revealed that Startpage is the only one that has been independently audited. The value proposition, overview, rating, customer review examples, and third party auditing claims of these private engines can be found in the attached spreadsheet.
- Qwant is a private search engine that supplements its search results with results from Bing. It does not record searches or use personal data for advertising.
- Startpage is a privacy-oriented search engine with a similar UI to Google. It has passed "independent (EuroPrise organization) audits of their privacy and data-handling practices."
- Yippy is a private search engine that allows users to manually filter their results based on categories and flag inappropriate results manually.
- Gibiru is a privacy-focused search engine that offers a fully uncensored but encrypted search engine to ensure that data leaks are prevented from third parties.
- Ecosia is a carbon neutral private search engine that actually plants trees when people use it. It uses content search assistance from Bing.