Canadian Private Company Market Size
In 2017, 1.12 million private companies were active in Canada. The total funding of the top 10K private companies in Canada is valued at $35.9 billion.
- According to Statista, as of 2017, there was an estimated 1.12 million private companies active in Canada.
- The Canadian economy has a total of 1.18 million companies in 2017. Of these, 1.15 million were small companies, 21,926 were medium-sized companies, and 2,939 were large companies.
- In 2017, private sector businesses employed approximately 11.9 million individuals in Canada in which 69.7% came from small businesses, 19.9% from medium-sized businesses, and 10.4% from large businesses.
- According to the GlobalEconomy Database, the number of public companies in Canada is 3330.
- The federally regulated private sector (FRPS) comprises approximately 910,000 employees in which 785,000 employees are full-time and permanent while the remaining 125,000 employees are seasonal, casual, and term or contract.
- The total funding of the top 10K private companies in Canada is valued at $35.9 billion.
Despite a comprehensive search, we were unable to find the total market size of the private company market in Canada.
Initially, we looked for pre-compiled information and examined government databases and market research portals such as Canada.ca, IbisWorld, Bdc.ca, etc. However, we found no information that directly provided the total market size of the private company market in Canada. We only found the number of businesses in Canada categorized based on size and other information.
Next, we searched for data points which can be used for triangulation such as the total funding of the private company in Canada or the total number of private companies in the country. We then began our research by examining trusted databases such as Crunchbase and Statista specific to private companies in Canada. The information we found was not enough for triangulation. Crunchbase information was limited to the total funding of the top 10K private companies in Canada which amounted to $35.9 billion while Statista was only able to provide the total number of companies in the private sector in Canada.
Lastly, we tried a different triangulation approach. Given that we were able to identify the total number of companies in the private sector in Canada, we searched for the average market size of a private company in Canada. We searched trusted resources such as Financial Post, Fraser Institute, etc. but no helpful information was found. Next, we searched for the market size of sub-private sectors such as the goods-producing sector and the service-providing sector. We exhaustively examined CVCA.ca, ic.gc.ca, etc. However, nothing substantial was discovered.