Predictions from Futurists - General Predictions
Top general predictions that futurists are giving for the year 2035 relate to Africa's workforce, energy, population, urbanization, global GDP, the largest global cities, and economic superpowers.
- On Africa's work force, Gates Foundation notes that "By 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world. Investing in young people’s health and education is the best way to make the most of this opportunity."
- Bill Gates is the second richest individual globally. Importantly, he is a philanthropist through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- On future energy mix, BP Energy Outlook notes that "Oil and gas, together with coal, will remain the main source of energy powering the world economy, accounting for more than 75% of total energy supply in 2035, compared with 86% in 2015."
- BP is the fifth-largest oil major with revenues of $303 billion in 2018. BP Energy Outlook provides insight into the forces shaping the global energy transition out to 2040.
- On population growth and aging population, the Development Research Center of the State Council notes that "The global population is predicted to rise from 7.35 billion in 2015 to 8.89 billion in 2035 and 9.77 billion in 2050. The proportion of the aging population is expected to rise from 8.3 percent in 2015 to 13 percent in 2035 and 15.8 percent in 2050."
- Development Research Center (DRC) of the State Council is a Chinese state-owned think tank that provides policy research, strategic review and consulting on economic and social matters relating to China.
- On urbanization, the Development Research Center of the State Council notes that "The global urbanization rate is expected to be 61.7 percent by 2035, becoming a key driver for future growth."
LARGEST GLOBAL CITIES
- According to Oxford Economics, "New York, Tokyo, London and LA to stay as world’s urban superpowers. (by 2035)." Further, "GDP of China's cities to double and outstrip the urban economies of Europe and North America by 2035."
- On global GDP output, BP Economic Outlook notes that "3.4% per year rise expected in global GDP (2015-2035)," Effectively it amounts to doubling of the global GDP by 2035 in relation to 2015 GDP.
ECONOMIC SUPER POWER
- According to the Development Research Center of the State Council, "the US economy will remain dominant until 2035" (when China becomes the dominant economic superpower). "The European Union and Japan will become weaker ... with Japan dropping from the third to the fifth-largest economy by 2035, and Germany becoming the only European nation in the top seven."
In order to determine general predictions that futurists are giving for the year 2035, we engaged in a detailed review across news source including SMCP and Daily Sun. Importantly, we sought to identify predictions that did not include healthcare or technology to avoid research overlap. In presenting your research insights, your research team provided both the full statement and the think tank providing the statement. Critically, we sought to group research insights into seven groups rater than just providing general insights in order to provide more depth to the research.