Most Popular Sites for Collectibles: US
Some of the most popular sites for purchasing collectibles in the United States include eBay, Amazon, Press Pass Collectibles, and Sports Memorabilia.
- The e-commerce platform eBay is one among the oldest auction online sites that offers a wide array of auction items.
- EBay has an extensive collection of collectible comics grouped based on the period as platinum age comics (1897-1937), golden age comics (1938-1955), silver age comics (1956-1969), bronze age comics (1970-1983), copper age comics (1984-1991), and modern age comics (1992-now).
- EBay has an extensive collection of magic sports cards for sale.
- Original sports autographed items are available for purchase on eBay.
- EBay offers an extensive collection of sports memorabilia, sports trading cards and accessories and claims to be a "one-stop shop" for collectors seeking rare, vintage, as well as modern sports cards.
- EBay has its headquarters in San Jose, California, United States and is an online marketplace that connects a network of buyers and sellers and boasts of over 4,293,565 monthly app downloads.
- Information made available by Infographic, reveals that 432,000 collectible items are purchased on eBay every single day.
- The eBay demographic consist of 57% males and 47% females and 35-49-year-olds constitute the largest group at 32%. The second largest segment of eBay buyers is the 50-64-year-old age group, which account for 29%, followed by 25-34-year-olds, which make up 18%. The 18-24-year-old age group represents 14% of eBay buyers, and seniors 65 and above represent seven percent.
- EBay boasts of selling $15,000 worth of collectibles and art for every minute of the day and has one of the most extensive selections in the world. Approximately five collectible items sell on eBay every second. In the year 2013, the Art and Antiques category of items realized more than $1.2 billion in sales.
- A list of collectible sold on eBay includes trading cards, sports memorabilia, comic books, cars, ladies shoes, ladies handbags, tablets, etc.
- About 168 million buyers are active on eBay.
- With over 1 billion monthly visits, over 60% of eBay traffic originates from the United States.
- Amazon is widely known to have autographs, jerseys, apparel, trading cards, photos, furniture, etc., for sale from various suppliers.
- Amazon has its headquarters in Seattle, Washington, United States.
- Amazon has an extensive collection of magic trading card games such as "Magic: The Gathering War of The Spark Bundle" among other cards rated by hundreds of buyers.
- Amazon has about 9,623 reviews from purchasers of its sports memorabilia with 95% positive reviews. About 78 purchasers of sports memorabilia reviewed and rated Amazon with 96% positive feedback within the past 30 days.
- According to a recent report, Amazon claims that for about 10 years now it has been "a market leader for sports memorabilia" with rising support and loyalty from its customers.
- Some famous publishers of comic sold by Amazon include Marvel Books, DC, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, IDW Publishing, Kodansha Comics, Archie Comic Books, Dynamite Entertainment, among other publishers.
- Amazon has over 12 million products for sale. This statistics does not count books, media, wine, and other services. Unfortunately, Amazon does not reveal the number of collectibles it sells.
- Amazon has over 310 million active customers and about 90 million prime subscribers based in the United States.
- Amazon provides comics and graphic novels from several publishers. Thousands of buyers have purchased and rated several comic books from Amazon.
- Amazon has over 2.3 billion monthly visits and over 70% of its traffic originate from the United States.
OTHER POPULAR SITES
Other popular sites for purchasing collectibles in the United States include Press Pass Collectibles, and Sports Memorabilia.
4.) PRESS PASS COLLECTIBLES
- Press Pass Collectible provides rare memorabilia (sports), autographs, jerseys (even those used in a game), apparel, trading cards, and photos among other memorabilia at reasonable prices.
- A 2018 Man Cave Accessory web publication reveals that Press Pass Collectible is one among the top (best four) sports memorabilia web sites.
- Press Pass Collectibles has about 522 page views per day.
5.) SPORTS MEMORABILIA
- Sports Memorabilia provides memorabilia such as autographs, mini helmets, jerseys used in games, cards, photos, etc., and covers every sport and all categories.
- A 2018 Man Cave Accessory web publication reveals that Sports Memorabilia is one among the top (best four) sports memorabilia web sites.
Our research team scoured through the collectible industry reports, surveys, and journals, among other resources for precompiled information regarding the most popular sites that sell collectibles in the United States and their the collectible transaction volumes. Insights obtained from a 2019 LifeWire web publication and Man Cave Accessory web revealed that eBay, Amazon, Press Pass Collectibles, and Sports Memorabilia are some of the most popular sites that sell collectibles. This strategy unearthed the collectible transaction volume of eBay from researching through precompiled information but failed to uncover the collectible transaction volume of Amazon.
We also researched through credible databases such as CrunchBase, IBISWorld and American FactFinder to obtain statistics on the headquarters' location of the identified brands and also to verify if they sell collectibles such as trading cards (magic and sports), sports memorabilia, and comic books, etc. We also researched for the volume of Amazons collectible transaction from the databases. Unfortunately, Amazon did not reveal the volume of its collectibles (transaction volume) through third-party databases.
Research through Similar web revealed statistics pertaining to the web traffic of the identified brands. Top/most popular sites that sell collectibles in the United States were determined through the number of active customers of identified brands and website traffic. Although there are limited statistics on Press Pass Collectible and Sports Memorabilia, we have included them because detailed research reveals that they focus solely on collectibles. Finally, an attempt to triangulate the volume of collectibles sold by Amazon proved abortive because our research for the percentage of collectible transaction of Amazon or similar statistics respective to its overall items failed to return any results which would have been useful since we already know that Amazon has over 12 million products for sale. We assumed that Amazon has not made public the volume of its collectibles since it is not under any obligation to do so.