Demographics - Premium Dog Food Customer: United States
Premium dog food buyers tend to be between 23 to 38 years of age. They are generally better educated, have an income over $50,000, about 50% are married, and they tend to live in the city or in the suburbs. The Pet Professor is a website published by a 35-year expert working in the strategic areas of sales of pet products. Since June 2014, he has released an analysis of demographics for pet food buyers. The figures below are from his 2019 review of all pet food purchasers.
The Premium Dog Food Customer
- The white, non-Hispanic group has an 84+% market share in every Segment, including pet food. African Americans have the lowest percentage of pet ownership of any group.
- Most pet owner households are composed of two people.
- Homeowners purchase 80.9% of the pet food purchased.
- Income matters most in pet spending. Most pet owners have incomes over $50,000 per year.
- Being married makes a difference. 62.5% of pet food customers are married couples.
- 55% of pet food buyers have associate degrees or high.
- Most pet food is sold in suburbia, but spending increased in city centers in 2019.
- 36% of pet owners are willing to spend extra on their pet food.
- A full report of pet food market and ownership is available here.
- Millennials make up 35% of all dog food customers. This supports the data from Statista that 36% of pet owners buy premium dog food.
- Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 23 to 38 in 2019) is considered a Millennial.
- Millennials are the most likely to buy premium dog food.
- Millennials are treating pets like their firstborn child
- Millennials are 50% less likely than Silent Generation to be married.
- 76% of millennials are like to splurge on their pets.
Analyzing the above information, we can see that premium dog food buyers are usually between 23 to 38 years of age and can be of either gender. They tend to have an income of over $50,000, and many have degrees from a post-secondary institution. About 50% are married, and most live primarily in the city center or near suburbs.