Physician-led Medical Groups Affiliated With a Hospital System
Greensboro Radiology, North Carolina Heart and Vascular (Raleigh), WakeMed Physicians and Practices, UNC Physicians Network (UNCPN), UNC Senior Alliance, UNC Health Alliance, Wake Internal Medicine Consultants, Inc., Raleigh Medical group, Raleigh Adult Medicine, and Wake Endoscopy Center are 10 more of the top physician-led medical groups that have an affiliation/partnership with a major hospital system that are in Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem, Raleigh, Durham, and/or Charlotte.
- Greensboro Radiology is a physician-led providing inpatient and outpatient medical diagnostic imaging services and interventional radiology practices.
- It has 67 physicians who are experienced, trained, and certified by the American Board of Radiology.
- Greensboro Radiology is considered a top physician-led medical group based on its number of physicians (67), and its extensive network of affiliates, which include Alamance Regional Hospital , Annie Penn Hospital, Chatham Hospital, High Point Regional Hospital, Morehead Memorial Hospital, Women’s Hospital of Greensboro, among others.
- Its website is accessible via this link.
NORTH CAROLINA HEART AND VASCULAR (RALEIGH)
- North Carolina (NC) Heart & Vascular (Raleigh) is a leading cardiology practice provider with board-certified cardiologists and cardiology-focused physician assistants, and nurse practitioners. Its website is accessible via this link.
- The medical group is considered a top physician-led medical group since it comprises approximately 29 physicians in the Raleigh location.
- The cardiology center has an extensive network of nine partner hospitals, including Granville Medical Center, Johnston Health, Johnston Health Clayton, UNC Nash Health Care, North Carolina Heart & Vascular Hospital, UNC REX Healthcare, Sampson Regional Medical Center, Wayne UNC Health Care, and Wilson Medical Center.
WAKEMED PHYSICIAN PRACTICES
- WakeMed Physician Practices is a wide network of exceptional physicians operating as part of the WakeMed Health & Hospital system. The medical group's website is accessible via this link.
- The medical group has over 250 board-certified physicians operating in 50 office locations covering a wide range of specialties.
- WakeMed Physician Practices is affiliated with the WakeMed Health & Hospital system, Cary hospital, Apex Healthplex, Brier Creek Healthplex, Clayton Medical Park, among many others.
UNC PHYSICIANS NETWORK (UNCPN)
- UNCPN is a physician-led network designed to match the needs of community physicians and the communities they serve through partnerships between its physicians and UNC Health Care. The UNCPN website is accessible via this link.
- UNCPN is considered a top physician-led network because of its extensive practices quoted at 90 practices and over 300 physicians, including advanced practice practitioners. These individuals are responsible for providing a broad range of primary care and specialty services in 14 counties in NC.
- The medical group is affiliated with various hospitals and providers, including Boylan Healthcare (North Hills), Capitol Pediatrics & Adolescent Center (Knightdale), UNC Family Medicine at Blue Ridge, and UNC Primary & Specialty Care at Brier Creek, among others.
UNC SENIOR ALLIANCE
- UNC Senior Alliance is UNC Health Care’s physician-led medicare accountable care organization (ACO). The alliance includes UNC Health Care-employed and independent providers. It is accessible via this link.
- In 2016, UNC Senior Alliance ACO partnered with Chapel Hill, N.C.-based UNC Health Care and Cigna to create a collaborative care program for improving access to care, care coordination and affordability.
- While this ACO does not list how many physicians it has, it has partnered with several hospitals, including Pruitt Health-Raleigh, Litchford Falls Healthcare, Carolina Point, UNC REX Rehabilitation & Nursing Care Center, and many more.
- Importantly, UNC Senior Alliance claims to be a Next Generation Accountable Care Organization (ACO), which features a group of doctors, hospitals and other health care providers collaborating with Medicare to offer patients improved, coordinated service, and better care.
UNC HEALTH ALLIANCE
- UNC Health Alliance is UNC Health Care’s statewide, physician-led clinically integrated network. According to UNC health Care, it is the primary vehicle developed to transform health care delivery and alternative payment models. It is accessible via this link.
- It serves over 5,000 providers, including UNC Health Care’s affiliate entities and community-based providers.
- The alliance collaborates with employers, payers, and physicians to collaborate in may areas like care settings, managing costs and quality, and to create more opportunities for statewide care access.
- UNC Health Alliance is considered a top physician-led medical group because it has approximately 866 health care professionals, 860 primary care providers, and 3,325 specialty providers.
WAKE INTERNAL MEDICINE CONSULTANTS INC.
- Wake Internal Medicine Consultants, Inc. consists of 33 providers focusing on several specialties, including cardiology, gastroenterology , geriatrics, gynecology, pulmonology, sleep medicine, pediatrics, and nonsurgical orthopedics.
- Its website is accessible via this link.
- Wake Internal Medicine Consultants, Inc. is affiliated with Rx Urgent Care, Wake Research Associates, Wake Sports Medicine, Wake Gastroenterology, Wake internal medicine and pediatrics, among others.
- Wake Internal Medicine Consultants, Inc. is considered a top physician-led medical group based on its number of physicians and recognitions like Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH), Heart/Stroke Recognition Program (HSRP), Diabetes Recognition Program (DRP), and Patient-Centered Specialty Practice (PCSP). It has listed a total of 31 physicians on its website.
RALEIGH MEDICAL GROUP (RMG)
- RMG is recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for providing high-quality services in diabetes care and treatment for heart / stroke patients. Its website is accessible via this link.
- RMG's expansive network includes Raleigh Adult Medicine, Cary Medical group, and Wake Endoscopy Center.
- RMG is considered a top physician-led medical group because it is affiliated with major health care providers in N.C. and based on its size i.e., physician count. On that note, its website features a list of 13 physicians with different specialization, including sports medicine, diet and nutrition, and so on.
RALEIGH ADULT MEDICINE
- Raleigh Adult Medicine uses a patient-centered approach to provide exceptional care to communities and improve the well-being of the members of these communities. Its website is accessible via this link.
- The medical group is considered a top physician-led medical group in Raleigh because it has over 40 years of experience providing services to residents of Raleigh, it has been recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for providing high-quality care in diabetes and treatment for heart/stroke patients.
- The medical group lists nine physicians on its website who cover various fields, including sports medicine, diet, and nutrition.
WAKE ENDOSCOPY CENTER
- Wake Endoscopy Center is fully staffed with physicians, physician assistants, and support staff to provide comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic services in digestive diseases. Its website is accessible via this link.
- It lists nine physicians on its website who cover matters regarding gastroenterology and diagnosing digestive diseases.
- Wake Endoscopy is a top physician-led medical group in Raleigh because it is recognized as a Tier 1 provider by BCBS and Cigna.
- The group is also a NC State certified ambulatory surgery center. It is 1 of 15 endoscopy facilities in NC that are approved by the AAAHC (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care).
Extensive searches through North Carolina medical and health care providers databases helped retrieve the ten examples of top physician-led medical groups that have an affiliation/partnership with a major hospital system that are in Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem, Raleigh, Durham, and/or Charlotte. Importantly, not all medical groups that are physician-led use the term, hence, for some we had to check their management to ascertain that they are physician-led. It is also vital to note that a combination of some metrics were used to ascertain a medical group as top. Several measures such as the number of physicians, recognitions by major medical bodies in the state and nationwide, and awards won for exceptional services. These parameters were adopted since different hospitals focus on different specializations, and using size as the only benchmark to define top could result in the omission of top physician-led groups that focus on advanced surgical specialties that are not flooded by physicians, compared to primary care provider medical groups.
To ensure we have provided a comprehensive list of top physician-led medical groups, we focused on those that specialize in diverse fields to ensure that the list features both sophisticated specialties and common specialties. We also found out that medical groups affiliated with nationwide healthcare providers tend to feature a more robust network of care givers, including hundreds of specialized physicians. Overall, our search focused on only medical groups within the specified locations that are physician-led, which we confirmed by checking the respective websites in case they did not mention that they are physician-led.