Pens can be used for writing, drawing, lighting, advertising, styluses, transferring data to a computer, and helping learning disabled children.
Our research team first scoured the internet for common uses of pens. We have included a list of the ones that appeared the most frequently, after searching approximatley 20 industry websites and articles such as pens.com and ink and volt Next, we researched each of these individually and provided you with a breakdown of uses for each category. Lastly, our team researched what types of pens were used per specific occasions. Our team included articles beyond the traditional 2-year time scope if further research deem the uses listed to still be relevant. Below you will find a deep dive of our research.
Common uses of pens
Below we have provided an analysis of common uses for pens, how consumers use pens differently for each purpose and a breakdown of use for each category. Our team was able to locate that marker pens and smart pens are also used. Marker pens are offered both by Bic and PaperMate. Smart pens are typically ballpoint and are not offered by Bic or PaperMate at this time. Pens are used more frequently than pencils because pencils can be erased.
The most common use for pens are writing and drawing. Below are some examples.
- Grocery lists
* These pens are typically ballpoint, ballpoint retractable, gel pens (and colored gel pens), roller ball pens, and marker pens (commonly used in drawing). Smart pens are typically ball point pens. They contain a digital audio recorder and have embedded computer. When used with digital paper the writings can be saved and uploaded to a computer.
Many pens today feature ultra-bright LED lighting. Below are some common uses.
-Emergency source of lighting at night
- Hypoxia check
- Reading a menu in a dim restaurants
- Realtors use them to show poor lighted areas such as attics or basements.
- Finding lost items
-Homeowners use them when working on electrical or plumbing issues in dark areas
- Policemen use these when pulling a person over for a traffic stop at night
- Finding items in a purse
-Mechanics use them when looking under the hood of a car.
* These pens are typically ballpoint, ballpoint retractable, gel pens (and colored gel pens), and roller ball pens, however they are modified with an added laser. They can be mental or plastic.
Many pens come in a stylus and pen combination. Below are some common uses.
-Use in place of a finger to reduce smudge on a tablet or iPad
-Sending text messages with a stylus
- Preferenced by older people because they offer more control on a tablet
- Used by Doctors and nurses to input medical information onto a tablet
-Used by IT professional for easy tablet navigation
* These pens are typically ballpoint, ballpoint retractable, gel pens (and colored gel pens), and roller ball pens, however they are modified with a stylus tip. They can be mental or plastic.
Plastic pens can help lessen expenses of advertisin. Below are some common uses.
-Can be used in place of a business card
-Stocking stuffers and wedding favors to advertise a business
-Tradeshow giveaways (This helps to increase booth traffic.)
-Customer giveaways and package inserts (This can be used to advertise a business an thank customers for their loyalty.)
* These pens are typically ballpoint, ballpoint retractable, gel pens (and colored gel pens), and roller ball pens. They may also include marker pens.
ADDITONAL USES FOR BIC PENS
Our research team has located a list with 100 different uses for Bic Pens which can be located, at here.
PENS USAGE BY OCCASION
Ballpoint pens- These pens are best used for simple, everyday occasions. They last longer than other pens, but since the ink is thick they are more prone to clumping. They are better choices for shorter writing.
Roller ball pens- These pens are best used in occasions in which the users need to write for an extended period.
Gel pens- These pens are best used on occasion in which the user needs high performance and comfort. The are also used on occasions in which the user needs to make a bold statement.
Marker pens- These pens are most commonly used in the creation of art, labeling, and other office projects