Palo Alto Networks: Marketing Team
Palo Alto uses a matrix organizational structure for its marketing team. The team is led by Jean English, however, the company also has different marketing executives for the geographical areas it operates in.
Palo Alto Network's Marketing Structure
- Palo Alto Networks has about 39 offices globally. The company's organizational structure for its marketing department can be called matrix, a hybrid of divisional and functional structure. This means its marketing team is grouped by purpose and geographic area.
- Although there are global marketing leaders at the company, there are marketing leaders and teams for the regions it operates in. For example, Mathew Donoghue is the Vice President of Marketing for the Americas at the company.
- Palo Alto Networks also has marketing teams grouped by purpose. For example, it has product marketing managers, marketing systems managers, channel marketing managers, field marketing managers, and enterprise marketing managers.
- As the chief marketing officer at Palo Alto Networks, Jean English is in charge of marketing at the company.
- Janice Le and Suresh Sathyamurthy are the senior vice presidents of Global Marketing at Palo Alto Networks. They report to Jean English.
- Upa Cambell is the Vice President of Marketing at the company. This individual reports to Janice Le and Suresh Sathyamurthy.
- Palo Alto Networks has marketing executives for different regions it operates in. Mathew Donoghue is the Vice President of Marketing. He is responsible for developing and "executing go-to-market plans that directly support growth objectives and drive significant and measurable ROI" at the company.
- Mid-level leaders such as marketing directors and marketing managers report to the regional marketing executives.
- In October 2019, Janet Matsuda, senior vice president of product marketing at Palo Alto Networks at the time, left the company for Sysdig.
- Since August 2019, Palo Alto Networks has not announced any changes related to its marketing team.
In order to identify the current organizational structure for Palo Alto Network's marketing department, as well as, recent changes it has made in this department, we first relied on its official website. There we found a breakdown of its global executives - including its CMO - and press releases within the last year. However, there was no mention of its organizational structure for its marketing team; neither did we find any recent news about changes made to its marketing department.
Next, we attempted locating a 2019 annual report. We found that the company has not yet released one, its latest annual report was from 2018. Still, we thoroughly examined this report for any breakdown of its organizational structure for its marketing team. Again, the company only mentioned its CMO.
We also scoured recent business and financial publications mentioning the company, including articles by Forbes and Fortune. While these publications acknowledged that Palo Alto Networks is a global leader in its industry, there was still no mention of its organizational structure for its marketing team or changes made to its marketing department.
As a result, we made use of LinkedIn and databases like the Official Board to deduce its current organizational structure for its marketing department. In reference to changes made since Jean English was hired, while we believe she may have influenced or made some changes to Palo Alto Networks' marketing team, it appears these changes (if any) have not been announced or made known to the public.