Company Overview - Carnival, Inc.
Carnival, established in 1972, is the parent company to 10 global cruise brands. It changed its name to Carnival Corporation in 1994 to differentiate it from its top brand, Carnival Cruise Lines. Carnival has entered into several marketing partnerships in the last five years with different persons and organizations including The Oprah Magazine, Singapore Tourism Board, Univision Communications, Cedric the Entertainer, and AT&T. Carnival's consumer retail products include onboard entertainment, shore excursions, gourmet dining, and Chef excursions.
- The name Carnival Corporation came into existence in 1994 after Carnival Cruise Lines, its flagship brand, was established in 1972 by the late Ted Arison, a pioneer in the cruise industry.
- Over the years, Carnival acquired different cruise lines from virtually every market segment of the cruise industry. It acquired Holland America Line in 1989, Seabourn in 1992, Costa Cruises, Europe’s top cruise operator, in 1997, and Cunard Line, which built Queen Mary 2, the largest ocean liner in the world, in 1998.
- The company changed the name of its parent company to Carnival Corporation to differentiate it from Carnival Cruise Lines, its flagship cruise line.
- In 2003, Carnival merged with and P&O Princess Cruises, which includes Princess Cruises, P&O Cruises, AIDA Cruises, P&O Cruises Australia, and Princess Tours to create the first international cruise company.
- Carnival is now the biggest leisure travel company in the world with over 100 ships under 10 brands. It has 120,000 employees globally and serves over 11.5 million passengers annually.
- Holland America Line, one of Carnival’s brand, partnered exclusively with O, The Oprah Magazine to promote “the soul-stirring power of travel” through several engaging programs including O's Reading Room, Just Breathe morning meditations, and some items from "Oprah's Favorite Things".
- Costa Cruises, one of Carnival’s brand, entered into a partnership with the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) and Changi Airport Group (CAG) to leverage Costa's international presence, the hub status of Singapore's cruise and the air hub connectivity of Changi Airport. The partnership would promote Southeast Asia as a cruise destination through joint-marketing initiatives implemented in several countries where Costa operates and attractive packages created for Costa's guests.
- Carnival partnered with Univision Communications Inc., the top media firm serving Hispanic America, to create the first O•C•E•A•N prime time series. The program, 'La Gran Sorpresa' (The Great Surprise) which uses the “power of travel to reunite families as they overcome hardships”, airs on the Univision Network and is hosted by Poncho de Anda, an award-winning television personality.
- Carnival Corporation launched a multi-brand marketing initiative featuring all nine of its brands in 2014 using television, digital, social and contest components. Carnival partnered with celebrity emcee Cedric the Entertainer and unveiled the "World's Leading Cruise Lines Marketing Challenge".
- Carnival partnered with AT&T to market its vacation experiences through virtual reality using Samsung Electronics’ Gear VR available in 133 AT&T stores in 37 US states.
CONSUMER RETAIL PRODUCTS
Carnival offers the following retail services to consumers in addition to its cruise travel services through its various brands:
- Personal choice dining
- Onboard entertainment such as dive-in movie
- Interactive onboard activities such as sky ride, sea coaster, pool, mini-golf and volleyball.
- All-suite accommodations
- Gourmet dining
- Chef excursions
- Shore excursions
- In-room gifts & shopping of apparels, accessories, watch, Liquor, and beauty products
- Spa & Salon Services including massage, thalassotherapy, and jogging track.
- Internet Plans
- Beverage packages
- Airport Transportation