Sales Team Model Best Practices
Two best practices for structuring a sales team in a way that represents audience/segment expertise are organizing by the customer segment and focusing on engagement more than quota.
Best Practices for Structuring Sales Team
ORGANIZING BY CUSTOMER SEGMENT
- Organizing the sales team by specific customer segments (such as age, location, or occupation) helps create intimacy and familiarity.
- The sales philosophy of the sales team should be in alignment with the relevant audience segment.
- Focusing the sales team on a specific region of focus ensures that they are more reachable and less spread out.
FOCUS ON ENGAGEMENT MORE THAN QUOTA
- Focusing less on quota and more on engagement ensures that the team is more customer-centric than quota-centric.
- They go out of their way to ensure better customer experience and protect the non-negotiables.
- Offering the sales representatives with sales compensation drives them for a higher level of productivity and also improves customer experience.
We began our research by looking for pre-compiled lists of best practices. We looked into various sales-related blogs to find precompiled best practices for structuring a sales team in a way that represents audience/segment expertise. We did find best practices, however, they were all related to either lead generation or simply structuring the sales team (without any focus on representing audience/segment expertise).
We then searched various media and news websites concerned with marketing and corporate news. We hoped to find articles providing best practices or examples that we can analyze to find the relevant best practices. We searched sites like Forbes, Harvard Business Review, Economic Times, New York Times, and Wall Street Journal. We found articles by experts on various structures of the sales team, but none were related to best practices focusing on audience/segment expertise. There were some isolated articles related to audience segmentation, but they were not concerned with the sales team structure.
We next chose to get creative and utilized the sources we found during our research. We chose to cross analyze the sources which provided sales team best practices and those which provided tips on audience segmentation to inform ourselves of best practices regarding the structuring a sales team in a way that represents audience/segment expertise.