DevOps & DevSecOps 2020 Trends
Three trends in DevOps for 2020 include flatter organizational models, adopting cloud-native practices, and the specific adoption of Kubernetes.
Flatter Organizational Models
- Experts predict a shift to flatter organizational models, where teams will move from governing the "how" of things getting done to governing "what" things get done entirely.
- This trend is being driven by the need for semi-autonomous product teams to stay organized within the group structure, but still remain agile.
- Shane Hastie, Director of Community Development for ICAgile, predicted that for 2020 there will be "more organizations that recognize the value in enabling humanistic workplaces and adopting ideas like holacracy."
- Experts predict an increase in the adoption of cloud-native DevOps.
- The trend is being driven by the overall move towards the cloud by organizations. Specifically, 80% of all enterprise IT will move to the cloud by 2025.
- Cloud-native technology use has grown over 200% from 2017.
Adoption of Kubernetes
- In addition to an overall increase in Cloud-Native DevOps, there is a specific move towards the adoption of Kubernetes for containerized applications.
- The reason more teams are adopting Kubernetes is due to the benefits including fast container management, better redundancy, self-healing and uptime.
- In a survey of 390 IT professionals, there was a 51% increase in the adoption rate of Kubernetes in from 2018 to 2019, and experts expect this increase to continue.
Trends were determined based on their inclusion in multiple expert publications.