Online Crossword Puzzle Market
Our research team triangulated that the United States online crossword market size amounts to approximately 199.6 million people.
- Our research team triangulated that the United States online crossword market size amounts to approximately 199.6 million people.
- The global crossword puzzle market was estimated at 9.1 billion in 2017. It was predicted to increase at a CAGR of 15.1% from 2018 to 2025.
- 85% of adults get their news online.
- 50 million people in the United States were recorded to do crossword puzzles in 2008.
- According to our estimations, roughly 234.85 million people do crosswords (both physical and online) in the United States.
- 15.1% Global CAGR (used as a proxy as a US-specific CAGR was not available)
- 11 years (2019 to 2008)
- 50 million in 2008 with 15.1% growth comes to 234.85 million people solving crosswords in 2019
- 85% of the people in the US read the news online. If we assume this is true for those who do crosswords as well, we can multiple 234.85 million by 0.85 to get the approximate number of people that do crossroads online. The number came to 199.6 million people (234.85 million * 0.85 = 199.6 million).
Our research team first reviewed white papers, top consultancy companies like McKinsey and Deloitte, and market reports in order to find the online crossword puzzle market size. However, were only able to find the market's global CAGR and some of the trends driving the growth of the market.
We then searched through reputable news sites to find the number of people that use crossword puzzles. The most relevant figure was that roughly 50 million Americans solved crossword puzzles in 2008. We then attempted to see what percentage that number represented from the global market but information was mostly scarce. The only report we were able to find that detailed that information was behind a paywall. We used the previously found global CAGR as a proxy along with the number of people who solved crosswords in 2008 to estimate the number of people that did that in 2018. We assumed that the growth would have stayed the same throughout the years and, as such, were able to estimate that 234.85 million people solved crossword puzzles in the US in 2018.
Finally, we tried to determine the percentage of people that solved crosswords online. We were not able to find this information specifically, but we uncovered that 85% of Americans read their newspapers online. We assumed that since the majority of people read newspapers online then the same was likely true for crossword puzzles. As such, we used that percentage to calculate the amount of people that solved crossword puzzles online by multiplying 234.85 million by 0.85, which gave us a total number of 199.6 million people doing crossword puzzles online.