Online Car Insurance: Market Leaders and USP
Insurtech, according to Investopedia, is the utilization of technology to enhance operations and efficiency. Taking its name from the words "insurance and tech", insurtech has experienced a sixty percent increase in funding and is considered a "disruption" in the industry. This is extremely evident in the auto insurance industry where insurtech is effecting both consumers and insurers.
- One of the key disruptions to the auto insurance industry is the need to adopt new operations procedures and investments; as more insurance providers increase their technology budget and automate some internal procedures, they have to change or adopt operational procedures despite strict compliance and regulatory standards.
- In the wake of COVID-19, greater integration of personal and vehicle data, as well as mobile applications and automated processes, will make claim processing more efficient.
- Another disruption is the greater reliance on "big data", allowing for more personalized customer-centric policies rather than on engaging a particular "consumer market"
- Blockchain technology provides auto insurtech the ability to process large amounts of data and audit claims more effectively, enhancing an agency's ability to process claims and prevent potential fraud.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning are used in auto insurtech to process large amounts of data, providing benefits to customers such as personalized policies, determine appropriate interventions, and counter the potential threat of driverless cars.
- Predictive analytics, or the integration of data from various sources (including chat bots, social media, and IoT), allows auto insurtech providers to identify potential policy cancellations, claim triage. risk and fraud selection, and claim identification.
Research began with a general survey of publicly available materials focusing on the general impact of technology on the insurance industry. However, industry-specific and professionally-oriented sources were cited to find specific examples of how technology is positively impacting the auto industry.