Online Beer Market (USA) Competitive Landscape
The overall revenue from online alcohol sales and delivery rose 33% in 2017, averaging an increase of 3% per month. Several online beer retailers contributed to this success. Several websites give opinions on the top retailers. The top 10 online beer retailers for this list were identified and ranked by overall revenue and unique attributes.
1. Total Wine & More
- Total Wine & More is the top retailer in this list. Total Wine & More began setting records in 2017 with a revenue of $2.7 billion. The success has continued, and this retailer now averages more than $3 billion in annual revenue.
- Total Wine & More is located in Bethesda, Maryland. The online retail address is www.totalwine.com.
- Total Wine & More is a 4 time winner of the national retailer of the year award. A unique offering from this company is same-day delivery, which most other retailers cannot offer.
- This retailer offers a variety of over 8,000 wines, 2,500 beers, and 3,000 spirits, contributing to it's top rating in this list.
- Guinness is a large brick-and-mortar retailer accentuated by an online retail store. It is owned by Diageo, which has a reported revenue of $16.7 billion. Specific information on Guinness' revenue was not publically available. Therefore, it was ranked as number 2 rather than one, as the reported revenue is not solely attributed to Guinness.
- Guinness has locations in multiple countries, including the United States. Their online address is https://www.guinnesswebstore.com/.
- Guinness offers unique items in addition to alcoholic beverages, including personalized glassware and clothing, bar supplies, and furniture.
3. Wine Warehouse
- The Wine Warehouse is ranked third on this list of top online beer retailers, with a reported revenue of $64.6 million. Wine Warehouse is located in Commerce, CA, with an online address of www.winewarehouse.com.
- The Wine Warehouse is family owned and operated. This retailer offers wholesale distribution of wine, beer, and spirits. The company has been in business over 40 years, showing stability even prior to online sales.
- The Wine Warehouse offers a variety of products, including world-class and import beer, fine wines, artisanal spirits, and specialty beverages.
4. The Beer Connect
- The Beer Connect ranks number four on our top 10 list, with a reported revenue of $21.2 million.
- The Beer Connect is located in South Lake Tahoe, CA, with an online address of www.thebeerconnect.com.
- This retailer has a unique approach to sales. The Beer Connect is a vendor for multiple breweries to sell using their own digital platforms. This online retailer limits its products to craft beers from multiple breweries. The company connects breweries directly to customers via a central online store.
- Drizly earns number five on this list with a reported revenue of $11.5 million and being recognized as the largest online market for alcohol in the United States.
- Drizly has demonstrated tremendous growth in recent years, including a revenue growth of 62% in 2017.
- Drizly is located in Boston, Massachusetts, with an online address of www.drizly.co. This company offers same-day delivery, with delivery in under 60 minutes for some areas. Very few online beer retailers are able to offer this rapid delivery.
- Drizly is unique in products offered. No only does Drizly sell beer, wine, and spirits, but this company also sells nonalcoholic beverages, snack foods, party supplies, and more.
6. Applejack Wine & Spirits
- Number six on the list is Applejack Wine & Spirits, with a reported revenue of $7 million.
- Applejack Wine & Spirits is located in Wheatridge, Colorado, with an online address of applejack.com.
- Applejack Wine & Spirits offers beer, wine, and spirit selections for all budgets. Additionally, their unique concierge service sets them apart from retailers with similar revenue. Applejack offers personal buyers to assist cellars, bars, and corporations with their alcohol supply needs.
- Tavour ranks number seven on the list, with a reported revenue of $7 million.
- Tavour is located in Seattle, Washington, with an online address of tavour.com.
- Tavour is a beer subscription service, specializing in rare and difficult to find beers. The retailer uses an app to connect customers to independent craft beer selections. Customers are able to build a "custom box" to enroll in a subscription containing the customer's unique choices. The subscription has no minimum order or subscription commitments.
8. Craft Shack
- Number eight on the list is the Craft Shack, with a reported revenue of $6.4 million.
- The Craft Shack is located in Wilmington, Delaware, with an online address of www.craftshack.com.
- The Craft Shack is a self-funded small business. The company has a large variety of products, including more than 1800 craft beers to choose from, including addition to spirits, hard seltzer, and mead.
9. Craft Beer Kings
- Number nine on the list is Craft Beer Kings, with a reported revenue of $5.8 million.
- Craft Beer Kings is located in El Monte, California, with an online address of www.craftbeerkings.com.
- This company offers over 1,000 craft beer options, national and international. Setting Craft Beer Kings apart is unique brew flavors, such as S'mores, marshmallow, and chocolate. This company also offers subscription services.
10. Beer of the Month Club
- Ranked number ten on this list is the Beer of the Month Club, also known as the Rare Beer Club, reporting a revenue of $5.6 million.
- The Beer of the Month Club is located in Lake Forest, CA, with an online address of www.beermonthclub.com.
- This retailer has been in business since 1994, demonstrating stability. The company boasts offerings of award-winning craft beers and multiple subscription options. In addition to subscription beer service, this company offers subscription clubs for cheeses, chocolate, cigars, wines, flowers, and customer-designed packages.
Research began by reviewing websites ranking online beer retailers with various criteria. This information was cross-referenced with reported revenue amounts, using a consistent database to compare revenues whenever available. Companies were ranked by revenue and further evaluated for unique attributes, found by reviewing company websites.