Top Oil and Gas Hardware Technology Investors (1)
The top five investors in the oil and gas hardware technology market are Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures, Shell Ventures, BP Ventures, Chevron Technology Ventures, and Blackstone Energy Partners. Blackstone Energy Partners is a private equity firm, while Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures, Shell Ventures, BP Ventures, and Chevron Technology Ventures all operate in the oil and gas industry. Information on the investment policies for the five firms is in the brief below.
Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures
- Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures is the fully owned venture capital subsidiary of Saudi Aramco. The company invests in petrochemicals, renewables, energy efficiency and water sectors, and in upstream and downstream oil and gas.
- Established in 2012 with an initial fund of $500 million, Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures is a fully owned venture capital subsidiary of Saudi Aramco. Saudi Aramco generated $111 billion in revenue in 2018, among the largest in the global oil and gas sector.
- The company has 11 investments in the upstream oil and gas sector including investments in Veretek, ConnSeal, Comitt Well Solutions, and Geomec. In the downstream sector, there are eight investments including investments in Airborne, Zahroof, 908 Devices, Conxtech, and Rive Technology. There are also investments in six renewable energy companies and seven investments in Industry 4.0 companies.
- In December 2017, the company invested in Gryphon Oilfield Solutions, an upstream oil and gas specialist in well completion tools, casing equipment, and oilfield services. Headquartered in Houston, Texas, the company has locations in the United States, Canada, Latin America and Europe.
- In 2018, Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures invested in Clarke Valve and Form Energy Inc. Clarke Value is a manufacturer of valves for oil and gas operations in Rhode Island. Form Energy Inc. is a manufacturer of low-cost grid energy storage systems.
- Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures invested in Data Gumbo Corporation in May 2019. Data Gumbo Corporation is a blockchain as a service company focused on the contracting market. The company has offices in Houston, Texas, and Stavanger, Norway. It received the Technology Innovation Award for smart contracts in oil and gas from Frost and Sullivan in 2019.
- The CEO of Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures is Majid Mufti, and his email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shell Ventures is one of the earliest corporate capital venture funds in the oil and gas industry. Established in 1996, the company invests in oil and gas, renewable energy and clean technology, and specializes in deployment and scaling. It has established a dedicated team for implementation and deployment.
- The investment strategy of the company is to be a significant minority investor with typical investments amounting to $2 to $5 million, and up to between $15 to $20 million over the investment life cycle. Shell Ventures is a subsidiary of the Royal Dutch Shell company, ranked by Forbes magazine as the 9th largest public company in the world, with revenues of over $20 billion in 2018.
- Shell Ventures made 20 investments in 2019. The three most recent investments in hardware and software used in the oil and gas industry are in Corvus Energy, LO3 Energy, and Osprey Informatics.
- Shell Ventures is a strategic investor in Corvus Energy, a provider of energy storage solutions for maritime, offshore, subsea and port applications. This deal helps to contribute to Shell's goal to reduce the carbon footprint of the products it sells to 20% by 2035 and 50% by 2050.
- Together with Sumitomo Corporation, Shell Ventures invested in LO3 Energy. LO3 Energy enables peer-to-peer energy sharing via an energy platform that addresses the challenge of integrating dispersed energy resources into the supply chain. The funding from Shell will assist in the commercialization of blockchain based energy networks.
- In late 2018, Shell Ventures, together with Evok Innovations and InterGen Capital, invested in Osprey Informatics. The investment totaled $3.75 million and will bring to market AI enabled solutions for methane detection. Osprey Informatics changed its name to Osperity in December 2019.
- There are eight investments in oil and gas in the portfolio, 13 in the fuels and mobility portfolio, seven in the multi-industry portfolio, and 17 in the renewable power and thermal energy portfolio.
- Shell Ventures does not have a CEO, but a managing director, Mr. Geert van de Wouw. His phone number is +31 70 377 9111 and his email is email@example.com.
- Founded in 2004 to guide BP's transition to a low carbon company, BP ventures invests in new energy businesses in upstream, downstream, and alternative energy. The company has also expanded its focus to include advanced mobility, carbon management, digital transformation, power and storage, and bio and low carbon products.
- BP ranks at number 24 on the Forbes Global 2000 list of the largest public companies in the world. BP's market value is $149.5 billion and has assets worth $282.2 billion, generating sales of $299.1 billion and profits of $9.3 billion.
- The last three investments made by BP Ventures are in AI energy management specialists R&B in January 2020, mobility start-up MaaS Global in November 2019, and carbon offset leader Finite Resources in October 2019.
- BP Ventures websites lists seven investments in upstream companies including investments in Advanced BioCatalytics, Belmont Technologies, BiSN, and Modumetal. There are 14 investments in downstream companies including investments in FreeWire, SGI, Fulcrum, and Zubie.
- BP Ventures does not list a CEO on its website, but has managing directors for the Americas, Asia and Europe. The managing director for the Americas and the chief investment officer for BP Ventures is Mr. David Hayes. To contact Mr. Hayes, specify in the subject line that it is an email for him at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chevron Technology Ventures
- Created in 1999, Chevron Technology Ventures focuses on investments in business solutions and external technologies that have the potential to improve Chevron's base business operations. The technology streams for investments are subsurface and base business, power systems, information technology, emerging materials, production enhancement, and water management.
- Chevron Technology Ventures investment areas of interest are oil and gas, emerging/alternative energy, advanced materials, communications, and networking and information technologies.
- Listed as the 19th largest public company in the world and the third largest public oil and gas provider in the Forbes Global 2000 ranking, Chevron, the parent company of Chevron Technology Ventures, has a market value of $228.3 billion, assets worth $253.9 billion, with sales of $158.7 billion and a revenue of $14.8 billion.
- In 2018, the company launched the Future Energy Fund. The Future Energy Fund has an initial commitment of $100 million focused on investments in disruptive technologies across the energy sector.
- Chevron Technology Ventures has made 16 investments in the oil and gas sector including investments in Foro Energy, Arisdyne, Halfwave, Hicor, MezurX, and Seikowave. There are also four investments in the advanced materials sector, three investments in the emerging/alternative energy sector, and five investments in information technology.
- Chevron Technology Ventures does not list a CEO on its website. Mr. Kemal Anbarci is the vice president and managing executive. His email address is email@example.com.
Blackstone Energy Partners
- Blackstone Energy Partners is a subsidiary of the Blackstone Group, ranked at number 2 on a list of the top 10 private equity firms globally. Established in 1985, the company headquarters is in New York with offices in London, Hong Kong, Beijing, and Dubai.
- Blackstone has invested over $16 billion in equity in a broad range of sectors in energy. The last three investments by the company are in Ulterra Drilling Technologies, Tallgrass Energy, and Waterfield Midstream.
- In October 2018. Blackstone Energy Partners acquired Ulterra Drilling Technologies from American Securities. Ulterra is a supplier of polycrystalline diamond compact drill bits for the oil and gas industry.
- Blackstone Energy Partners invested in Tallgrass Energy in March 2019. Valued at $3.2 billion, the investment was with GIC and Enagas. Tallgrass Energy is an energy infrastructure company operating in transportation, storage, terminal and water assets.
- Blackstone Energy created Waterfield Midstream, a full cycle water management services company in February 2019. The company began operations with a $500 million equity commitment and will operate in greenfield development and acquisitions of water-related infrastructure.
- Blackstone Energy Group does not have a CEO listed. Instead, Mr. David Foley, who is a managing director of the parent company, is the global head of Blackstone Energy Partners. He can be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To determine the top 5 investors in the oil and gas hardware technology market, the team began by searching for the largest oil and gas companies in terms of revenue. This search yielded the list of the world's largest public companies, including the companies from this list from the oil and gas industry. The team then sought to determine which of the largest public companies had venture capital companies. This approach is because of the high value nature of investments in the sector. The search yielded information on Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures, Shell Ventures, BP Ventures and Chevron Technology Ventures. Finally, the team searched for the largest private equity firms with investment in the oil and gas sector. This searched led to the information presented on Blackstone Energy Partners.