Number of Transactions Initiated by ACH
Research successfully found the percentages of transactions that are initiated by Automated Clearing House (ACH) annually. ACH accounts for 90% of the total electronic payments in the US and 83% of US businesses use ACH when making payments, internet-initiated transactions make up 27% of all ACH transactions volume. A detailed breakdown of percentages of ACH transactions is presented below.
2017 ACH TRANSACTIONS
- Ninety percent of the total amount of US electronic payments are made through ACH.
- Eighty three percent of businesses in the US use ACH to make payments and it accounts for 32% of all B2B payments in the US.
- Upto 21.5 billion ACH transactions with a total value of $46.8 trillion were processed in 2017.
- The volume of ACH transactions increased by 5.7% and the value increased by 6.9% from 2016's transactions.
- Out of these, 12.5 billion transactions were debits valued at $16.6 trillion.
- A total of 9 billion ACH transactions were credits amounting to $30.2 trillion.
- A total volume of 3.3 billion ACH transactions were made between business-to-business (B2B) marking a 5.6% increase from volumes in 2016.
- At least 6.5 billion transactions were payroll indicating a 6.8% increase compared to the previous year.
- A total of 5.2 billion transactions were internet-initiated, resulting in a 13.1% increase from 2016's volume.
- Up to 97 million ACH transactions happened between person-to-person (P2P) marking a 23.3% increase from the previous year's volumes.
- A total of 75 million Same Day ACH transactions were completed resulting to a 478% increase compared to 2016 transactions.
- For the last three years, the volume of ACH transactions has maintained an increase of at least one billion every year.
- The value of annual ACH transactions has consistently increased by one trillion per year in the last five years.
2018 ACH TRANSACTIONS
- Statistics show there were 23 billion total transactions amounting to $51.2 trillion in 2018.
- The volume marks a 6.9% increase from 2017's volume and the amount is a 9.5% increase from amounts in 2017.
- Out of the total, 13.4 billion transactions were debits with a total value of $17.8 trillion, which is a 6.9% increase compared to 2017.
- A total of 9.5 billion transactions were credits valued at $33.4 trillion, which is a 9.5% increase compared to 2017.
- Up to 3.6 billion ACH transactions were made between business-to-business (B2B) marking a 9.4% increase from the previous year.
- Statistics show that 6.8 billion transactions were direct deposits, which is a 4.4% increase from 2017 transactions.
- At least 5.9 billion transactions were internet-initiated, marking a 14.2% increase from transactions initiated in 2017.
- The report shows 128.7 million transactions were between person-to-person (P2P) marking a 32.2% increase from transactions in 2017.
- There were 177.9 million Same Day ACH transactions totaling $159.9 billion.
- Out of all the Same Day ACH transactions, 76.7 million were debits and they amounted to $$60.7 billion which is a 137% increase from the previous year's volume.
- Out of the total Same Day ACH transactions, 98.3 million were credits and they totaled $99.2 billion translating to 83% increase from transactions completed in 2017.
- Internet-initiated transactions account for 27% of total ACH transactions volume.
Percentage ACH transactions based on SEC code (2017)
- ARC transactions were down to 322.4 million from 350.5, an 8.02% reduction.
- BOC down to 27.3 million from 31.7 million, a 13.96% reduction.
- CCD Credits went up to 504.1 million from 479.5 million, a 5.14% increase.
- CCD Debits rose to 255.1 million from 248.6 million, a 2.61% increase.
- CTX rose to 28.5 million from 26.7 million, a 6.8% increase.
- CIE dipped to 40.2 million from 42.2 million, a 2.52% reduction.
- POP plummeted to 58.3 million from 68.1 million, an 11% reduction.
- IAT down to 21.9 million from 19.3 million, a 13.57% reduction.
- PPD Credits rose to 1.7 billion from 1.6 billion, a 6.36% increase.
- PPD Debits rose to 959.2 million from 903.8 million, a 6.13% increase.
- TEL rose to 135.9 million from 122.2 million, an 11.19% increase.
- RCK dipped to 536,024 from 660, 890, an 18.89% reduction.
- WEB Debit rose to 1.3 billion from 1.2 billion, a 15.6% increase.
- WEB Credit rose to 23 million from 18.2 million, a 26.24% increase.
In order to provide an analysis detailing the percentages of transactions that are initiated by ACH annually in the US, the research team consulted the National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA) website for ACH statistics. On the website, we found the desired statistics for year 2017 and 2018. Additionally, we consulted industry publications for more insight and press releases. Ultimately, the research yielded satisfactory results and we were able to get a breakdown of percentages of ACH transactions.