Stores in Ohio - Mass Retailers
There are around 248 mass retailers stores in Ohio. More information regarding this topic is provided below.
TOTAL NUMBER OF MASS RETAILER STORES IN OHIO (ESTIMATED)
- Based on revenue, Walmart ($347,534 million and 4568 stores), Costco ($85,778 million with 497 stores), and Target ($69,495 million with 1802 stores) are the largest retailer physical brick and mortar store operators in the US. Amazon also joins the league in the online market.
- Walmart has a total of 172 mass retail units in Ohio which include 139 supercenters, six discount stores, and 27 Sam's Clubs stores.
- Target has total 63 stores in Ohio which represents 3.38% of its total stores in the country.
- Costco has around 13 stores in Ohio.
- From the above findings, it is estimated that there are approximately 248 mass retailer stores in Ohio.
We used the following definition for "mass-market retailer": "A company that sells affordably priced products that appeal to a wide variety of consumers (supermarket, drugstore, mass merchandise and warehouse chains, are all considered mass-market retailers)".
To obtain the information on the total number of mass retailers in Ohio, we first looked through credible industry reports and insights on the mass retailer space in the US and specific to Ohio in reports from IBIS, NRF, Statista, and other sources. Through this search, we found that the mass retailer space includes supermarkets, drugstores, mass merchandise, and warehouse chains. Market reports available contained information either for the overall retail segment in the US or for the supermarket and grocery stores in Ohio, but didn't contain information related to specific mass market retailers. Also, news articles and publications found through sources like CBSnews, CNBC, Bizjournals, and others, highlighted the insights on the major moves being taken by various mass retailers in the state.
As no direct information could be identified with the previous strategy, we tried to triangulate the information by identifying the information on the largest mass market retailers in the US (as specific to the state of Ohio was not publicly available). Since we were able to find the market share by revenue (Walmart, Costco, and Target), we assumed that as these mass market retailers hold the major market share in the US, these would also have a major share in the Ohio state. Next, on each of these retailers' official website, we made use of their store locator tool to identify their total number of stores available in Ohio. Through this search we found that Walmart has 172 stores, Costco has 13, and Target has 63. By adding these three numbers (172 + 12 + 63), we got a total of 248 mass market retail stores in Ohio.