Number of Business Consulting Firms in the World
The United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada are among the countries with the largest number of business consulting firms in the globe. Regionally, North America and Europe have the largest number. A comprehensive list of the leading nations and companies in the global business consulting market is contained in the attached spreadsheet and a summary presented below.
- According to IBISWorld, there are 2,392,685 business consulting firms in the globe
- Out of these, 848,559 are in Europe while 865,055 are in the United States.
- The number of business consulting companies in the top countries represent approximately 80% of the global industry.
- North America and Europe account for 49% and 28% of the global management consulting industry, respectively.
- The big four firms namely Deloitte, KPMG, EY, and PricewaterhouseCoopers account for approximately 40% of the global market.
- Other top management consulting firms in the globe are listed in the chart below.
After an exhaustive eight hours’ search, the research team could not find a credible ranking of global business consulting based on Small (1-50), Medium (50-200) and Large (200 above) criteria. Most rankings found in the course of the search are focused on revenue with a specific focus on the top firms in the industry. The research also showed that the terms management consulting and business consulting are used interchangeably in the consulting industry.
To find the requested rankings, our initial search focused on reports published by credible sources such as IBISWorld and Consultancy.org. We hoped to find reports on the number of business consulting firms in the globe organized based on their country of origin/operation and their number of employees. However, the search only yielded information about the number of business consulting firms in the globe and scattered information on the number of firms in the leading countries in the globe.
We then shifted our focus to individual countries’ business consultancy markets as presented in various consultancy market reports. We hoped to find data on the number of firms in the individual countries ranked based on their number of employees. However, we realized that most of the available comprehensive reports are either behind a pay wall or focusing on the major markets such as North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific, among others.
Thus, we provided a list of the leading countries in the business consulting market in the globe and the respective number of businesses. We also provided the number of the leading firms in the globe and their number of employees.