NPR Radio Station
An analysis of the NPR website, its financial report from 2018 and industry databases showed how NPR is funded, which programs and podcasts are offered in which category and who the top executives are and what are their responsibilities. The details of the analysis are written below.
- NPR publishes annual reports which also include which percentage of the revenues come from which sources. The 2018 report tells that total operating revenue was $252,083,330 for that year. It also received federal support for $110,000 and received a $1,381,357 grant from Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). Therefore, its revenue amounted to (252,083,330 + 110,000 + 1,381,357) 253,574,687 dollars.
- Corporate sponsors paid 97,071,058 dollars in 2018. A simple formula shows that this amount was (97,071,058/253,574,687 X 100) almost 38% of all revenues and was the biggest source for revenue generation.
- From that total, 80,082,387 came from membership payments and station programming. The same formula (80,082,387/253,574,687 X 100) shows that this amount constituted around 31.5% of total revenues.
- The same formula shows that grants and contributions constituted %10.75 of the revenues while the other sources were distribution and satellite interconnection (%6), interest payments and other revenue (%5.7), distribution from endowment to support operations (%4.7), digital (%2), CPB grant (%0.5) and federal support (%0.04).
SHOWS ON NPR
- NPR divides its shows and podcasts into three categories: daily shows, news & conversations shows, and storytelling & humor.
- Daily shows on NPR are (1) Morning Edition, (2) Weekend Edition Saturday, (3) Weekend Edition Sunday, (4) All Things Considered, (5) Fresh Air, (6) Up First, (7) 1A, (8) Here & Now, (9) On Point and (10) The Indicator from Planet Money.
- Among these daily programs NPR offer; Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, Here & Now, 1A, The Indicator from Planet Money, Weekend Edition Saturday, Weekend Edition Sunday and Up First are news & conversations programs.
- News category also includes (1) Believed, (2) Code Switch, (3) Embedded, (4) It's Been a Minute with Sam Sanders, (5) Latino USA, (6) Life Kit, (7) The NPR Politics Podcast, (8) On Point, (9) Throughline, (10) What's Good with Stretch & Bobbito, (11) YR Media, (12) White Lies and Rough Translation.
- Another category NPR uses for its shows is storytelling & humor which includes (1) The Best of Car Talk, (2) Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, (3) Invisibilia, (4) Only a Game, (5) Pop Culture Happy Hour, (6) Radio Ambulante, (7) StoryCorps, (8) TED Radio Hour, (9) WOW in the World, (10) Hidden Brain, (11) Ask Me Another, (12) How I Built This With Guy Raz and (13) Planet Money.
- Among the listed programs, NPR features: (1) How I Built This With Guy Raz, (2) Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, (3) Planet Money, (4) Hidden Brain, (5) Your Travel Checklist For A Great Trip, (6), White Lies, (7) Rough Translation and (8) Ask Me Another.
TOP EXECUTIVES AT NPR
- Jarl Mohn- CEO and President: After studying Mathematics and Philosophy at Temple University, Mohn has worked as a Board Member in several companies including Fanhattan, Scripps Networks, Riot Games and MobiTV. He has been serving as the CEO of NPR for more than five years now.
- Stacey Foxwell — Vice President of Operations: After studying communications arts and business administration, Foxwell has worked Pizza Hut and Baltimore Sun. She started her career in NPR in 2002 and served several roles such as executive assistant and project manager. She is now responsible for the supervision of executive assistants and operations managers as well as Facilities and Security operations.
- Michael Lutzky — Vice President of Business Development: Lutzky completed his MBA degree after finishing his studies at Rochester Institute of Technology. Since then, he has worked for a lot of reputable companies including McKinsey, The Washington Post, and The Associated Press. He now oversees a team with the aim of keeping NPR as a front runner in storytelling, broadcasting and digital media.
- Christopher Turpin — Vice President for Editorial Innovation and Special Projects: Turpin studied English and American Literature and even received a PGCE certificate from Oxford which enables the certified to teach English. He started his career in NPR 17 years ago and served different positions such as Vice President for News Programming and Operations and Interim SVP for News and Editorial Director. He now supervises the significant strategic steps taken in the newsroom.
- Joel Sucherman — Vice President for New Platform Partnerships: After studying Broadcast Journalism, Sucherman worked as an anchor and reporter for WCHV/WWWV Radio, USA Today and Berns Breau. For nine years he has been at NPR, he has served the roles of Program Director for Project Argo and Senior Director for Digital Products. Now he is in charge of developing strategic partnerships.
- Michael Beach — Vice President of Distribution: After studying Mass Communication/Media, Project Management and Science, Technology and Society; Beach has worked as the Communications Officer for the US Navy. After that, he worked for NSN Network Services, NET, and Intelsat. He now supervises the interconnection system at NPR.
An initial search through several databases showed NPR's current top executives. The research team then found every executive's Linkedin page to acquire the most relevant and up-to-date information about those executives and their responsibilities.
For the shows, NPR's official page was used. The station has a detailed list of every program and podcast it offers, and the same categorization was used in the research.
For financial analysis, an annual report from 2018 was found. Although there were graphics in different databases, they were not included in the analysis as they took previous years as a base. And the company's official 2018 report did not have percentages to show the contribution made by every source of revenue. Therefore, percentages were calculated from the hard data on the report and both the calculation method and the results were presented in the article.