Norway Business Statistics
More than 16,000 new businesses have been opened in Norway as of Q2 2019. More details about the country's total number of businesses, employee breakdowns, starts per year, and turnover are presented below.
TOTAL NUMBER OF BUSINESSES
- There are 421,225 businesses in Norway as of 2018.
- 16,075 new businesses have been established in Norway as of the second quarter of 2019.
- As of 2018, 280,216 businesses were owned by sole traders (have no employees).
- As of 2018, 83,203 businesses in Norway have between 1-4 employees.
- As of 2018, 27,023 businesses in Norway has between 5-9 employees.
- In 2018, 110,226 (83,203 + 27,023) businesses in Norway had less than ten employees.
- 722 businesses in Norway have 250 or more employees.
- Approximately 29,340 businesses have between 10 to 249 employees (estimated).
NEW BUSINESSES AND NUMBER OF NEW BUSINESSES STARTED PER ANNUAL
- 16,075 new businesses have been established in Norway as of second quarter of 2019, of which 6,054 were privately held and 9,658 are sole proprietorship.
- 61,533 and 58,186 new businesses were established in Norway in 2018 and 2017, respectively.
- Over 60,000 new businesses were established in 2016.
- 55.66% of the total businesses in Norway have an annual turnover of less than €50 million (estimated)
- 179,475 businesses have less than €0.90 million ($1 million)
- 39,700 businesses have between €0.9 million to €4.5 million ($1 million to $5 million)
- 7,591 businesses have between €4.5 million to €9 million ($5 million to $10 million)
- 7,698 businesses have €9 million to €45 million ($10 million to $50 million)
- TOTAL = 179,475 + 39,700 + 7,591 + 7,698 = 234,464
- Proportion of businesses with less than €50 million = 234,464/421,225*100 = 55.66%
After a thorough and wide-reaching search through the Norwegian National Statistics and OCED databases as well as media sources (e.g., Forbes) and business directories (e.g., Hoover and Crunchbase), your research team could not find the requested information preexisting except for the number of new businesses started annually, number of sole traders, and the number of businesses with more than 250 employees. We were, however, able to find data points used in triangulating the results to other parts of the requested information as shown above.