Battery Technology Major Players
Two major players in the North American lithium-ion and solid-state battery design and manufacturing are Toshiba Corporation and Cymbet Corporation while two emerging startups in battery technology are Sila Nanotechnologies and Ion Storage Systems.
- Toshiba Corporation offers an extensive solution based on SCiB™ rechargeable batteries, which comes in various forms, ranging from cells to systems.
- SCiB™ makes use of lithium titanium oxide (LTO) as an anode to achieve its unique characteristics, including long life, safety, low-temperature performance, high input/output power, rapid charging, and large effective capacity.
- The product consists of the SCiB™ cells, SCiB™ modules, and SCiB™ systems.
- Its application includes industries, vehicles, and infrastructure applications, which includes automobiles, buses, railroad elevators, cars, and power plants.
- The SCiB™ Toshiba lithium-ion batteries meet some key customer needs which include the elimination of the need for battery a replacement, ability to charge regardless of ambient temperature, and its unlikeliness to cause smoke or fire hazard.
- Some unique features of the battery are safety, long life, uses highly safe lithium titanium oxide (LTO), more than 20,000 cycles, low-temperature operation, rapid charging, high input/output, and a wide effective SOC range.
- "Cymbet EnerChip™ thin-film rechargeable solid-state smart batteries (SSB) are an innovation in energy storage and power management".
- The solid-state battery provides energy storage in a manner not previously attainable by the use of conventional solutions such as supercapacitors.
- The devices are capable of providing back-up power ranging from a few hours up to several weeks depending on the systems stand-by current requirements.
- They are regarded as the smallest solid-state battery with a size of 0.073 cubic centimeters when compared to 2032 Li-ion coin cell that is 1.04 cubic centimeters and lasts 3X longer than the normal solid-state batteries.
- "EnerChips are very cost-effective and can be used in designs where legacy supercapacitors and Coin Cell batteries can not be used."
- Some products available in the market are EnerChip CBC050-BDC, EnerChip CBC005-BDC, and EnerChip CBC910 Power Management & Charge Control ASIC Bare Die.
- Sila nanotechnology battery hopes to break the long barrier of a long-lasting lithium-ion battery using silicon atoms inside a matrix as an anode.
- By so doing, the ions fill up the empty spaces when the lithium-ion absorbs the silicon anode rather than shifting the silicon atoms apart.
- The company claims that the silicon-dominant anode will break into the existing battery manufacturing processes and replace the conventional graphite anode thereby delivering a significantly higher energy density at cell-level with a low swelling.
- According to Sila, the battery would be used in electric vehicles, consumer electronics, electric power grid, and electrified flights.
- Sila suggests that their technology will provide the cost-efficiency on the battery pack on a dollars per kilowatt-hour ($/kWh) basis required for a mass electric vehicle production.
ION STARAGE SYSTEMS
- Ion Storage Systems is focused on developing the most energy-dense, the safest batteries that can be deployed in any environment.
- The Ion Storage Systems solid-state battery technology was designed for rechargeable batteries and offers a safer usage and higher energy density than other conventional batteries having successfully removed the flammable part of the battery.
- The technology is applied in industries such as the defense and aerospace industry, consumer electronics, and electric vehicles.
- Some competitive advantage of the battery technology includes safety of usage, smaller & lighter, lower cost, higher power density, and higher energy density.
- The battery will posses 10X the capacity of current batteries while offering 2-3x more energy than the currently available batteries.
YOUR RESEARCH TEAM APPLIED THE FOLLOWING STRATEGY
To answer this request, we looked into a market report on the North America Lithium-ion Battery Market analysis. We found a report by Mordor Intelligence on the top players in the Lithium-ion Battery market in North America by market share. We went ahead to corroborate this source with another report by KBV Research which listed the top players in the same industry in North America. Analysis of both sources showed a similarity in the companies mentioned. We went ahead to conduct in-depth research on to of the top companies to ensure they are based in North America and are top market players.
Next, we conducted a similar search for top players in the North America solid-state battery design & manufacturing and found a report by Inkwood research about the top players in the North American market corroborated by a second report by Allied Market Research on the global market. This report although global, suggests that North America hold the largest share in the global solid-state battery design & manufacturing and therefore, lists the major players in the region. We further conducted a confirmatory test to ensure that the companies are the top market players.
Lastly, after an exhaustive search, we were unable to identify a single report that analyzed emerging start-ups in battery technology concerning North America as a whole. Having known that the United States contributes the largest share in the regions' battery technology growth as reported by the Allied Market Research, we assumed that prominent battery technology startups in the United States will also, hold a similar position for the entire North American region. In-depth search revealed a report by qz.com on the most promising startup (Sila Nanotechnologies) in the lithium-ion-battery technology. The last report by Netware Battery listed Ion Storage Systems as a leader in the emerging startups in the solid-state battery technology space. We have given an analysis of all the battery technologies of the four listed companies.