Children's Museums - Outside the United States
Papalote Museo del Nino, Seoul Children's Museum, CosmoCaixa, SantralIstanbul Energy Museum, Deutsches Museum, National Museum of Agriculture, The Canadian Children’s Museum, Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology, V&A Museum of Childhood, and Pavilhão do Conhecimento are the top 10 international children's museums based on their attendance rate. Below is a description of each museum and a link to its website.
Papalote Museo del Nino
- Papalote Museo del Nino's website
- Papalote Museo del Nino in Mexico City, Mexico is one of the top international children's museums because of the number of visitors it receives. The museum is located in the Chapultepec park, which receives about 15 million visitors each year.
- Founded in 1993, Papalote Museo del Nino integrates parts of the Chapultepec park for interactive activities. The museum includes lego workshops to build cities, a laboratory to produce ideas and build robots, and science activities for children to better understand their bodies. Additionally, the museum has an IMAX theater that can seat 333 visitors.
Seoul Children's Museum
- Seoul Children's Museum's website
- Seoul Children's Museum in Seoul, South Korea is one of the top international children's museums because it receives about 3.2 million visitors annually.
- Seoul Children's Museum is three stories underground, and an additional three stories above ground. It is full of interactive exhibits and educational facilities. Its "multipurpose learning space" provides activities for children of all developmental stages. The museum's exhibits range from art to nature and space explorations.
- CosmoCaixa's website
- CosmoCaixa in Barcelona, Spain is one of the top international children's museums because it receives more than 1.6 million visitors.
- Opened in 2005, CosmoCaixa is one of the largest museums in Spain. Its primary focus is on science. The museum’s exhibits and activities include guides on dinosaurs, the power of e-education, and topics such as photo science and astronomy.
SantralIstanbul Energy Museum
- SantralIstanbul Energy Museum's website
- SantralIstanbul Energy Museum in Istanbul, Turkey is one of the top international children's museums because it receives 1.5 million visitors annually.
- SantralIstanbul Energy Museum has hosted more than 20 national and international exhibits since opening in 2007. Visitors at the museum can see how electricity is generated and transmitted to different districts. The museum's Energy Play Zone features "22 interactive exhibits" containing scientific experiments, which includes generating electricity, creating magnetic sculptures, and touching volts.
- Deutsches Museum's website
- Deutsches Museum in Germany is one of the top international children's museums because it receives about 1.3 million visitors annually.
- Deutsches Museum is reported to be Germany’s most popular museum. The museum focuses on science and technology, and its Kids' Kingdom play zone allows children to explore and learn through interactive exhibits. The exhibits include hands-on physics activities, building workshops, and the power behind transmissions.
National Museum of Agriculture
- National Museum of Agriculture's website
- National Museum of Agriculture in Prague, Czech Republic is one of the top international children's museums because it receives 592,555 visitors annually.
- Founded in 1918, National Museum of Agriculture consists of interactive exhibits focused on agriculture, forestry, fishing, gastronomy, and the food industry. The museum is said to be popular among children because of the interactive activities. The museum said they "tell stories in a way that children will also understand."
The Canadian Children’s Museum
- The Canadian Children’s Museum's website
- The Canadian Children’s Museum is one of the top international children's museums because it receives an average of 500,000 visitors annually.
- Founded in 1989, The Canadian Children’s Museum receives about 8 million children every year. The museum enriches children's lives by providing experiences that allow them to explore cultures through various exhibits, "costumes, hands-on props, and artifacts, including an extraordinary assortment of toys and games."
Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology
- Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology's website
- Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology in Alberta, Canada is one of the top international children's museums because it receives more than 430,000 visitors annually.
- Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology is said to be the only museum in Canada that exclusively studies "ancient life." The museum has one of the "largest displays of dinosaurs" in the world, along with educational programs about prehistoric life. The museum's activities include fossil casting and reptile assemblies, as well as multiple dinosaur exhibits.
V&A Museum of Childhood
- V&A Museum of Childhood's website
- V&A Museum of Childhood in London is one of the top international children's museums because it receives more than 400,000 visitors annually.
- The V&A Museum of Childhood contains a collection of children's items that range "from the 1600s to the present day." Its 26,000 objects include toys and games from the 20th century, which provide visitors with an insight on how children "lived, thought and felt."
Pavilhão do Conhecimento
- Pavilhão do Conhecimento's website
- Pavilhão do Conhecimento in Lisbon, Portugal is one of the top international children's museums because it receives about 220,000 visitors annually.
- Pavilhão do Conhecimento is an interactive life science museum. The museum's exhibits and activities range from light exploration to how the body works, as well as workshops that explore electrical circuits and programs robots. The museum also has interactive modules, such as a flying bike, spiral illusions, and a shrinking chair.
We compiled a list of children's museums around the world after carefully analyzing several reports and articles, such as this report from Oyster. Afterward, we conducted research to find the annual attendance rate for each museum. Several reports mentioned the Children's Museum in Brussels as one of the top museums in the world for children. However, after extensive research, the attendance rate and the revenue for the Children's Museum in Brussels wasn't found. Therefore, we excluded the museum from our list.