Multicultural Gig Economy Market
Despite preconceptions about the gig economy, gig-based platforms provide great opportunities for multicultural contractors. At the current time, 55% of African American workers and 47% of Hispanic American workers viewing gig work as their primary source of income. Companies that have recently shown initiatives to employee a more diverse group of contractors are Taskrabbit, Etsy, Fiverr, and Lyft.
MULTICULTURAL CONTRACTORS OVERVIEW
- The Aspen Institute has constructed a website that provides up-to-date data on gig workers. They state that the racial composition of the current gig economy is very similar to the workforce at large. Their conclusion is that "agency temps, on-call, and contract company employees are more likely to be African American or Hispanic, whereas freelancers, consultants, and independent contractors are more likely to be white.
- 55% of African American workers claim gig work as their primary job.
- About one third of Hispanics (31%) earn their income via gig work.
- An article in the Stamford Advocate explains that the gig economy creates a “truly level playing field irrespective of location, gender, age, or background.”
- Gig-based platforms benefit from multicultural contractors due to a wide array of ideas, backgrounds, skills, and creativity that would not be possible otherwise.
EXAMPLES OF MULTICULTURAL SUPPORT
- TASKRABBIT : Taskrabbit aims to create a diverse and inclusive workplace through its Inclusion Policy which is designed to create a diverse community of workers on the platform. Currently, the company has women in 60% of the leadership positions, as well as 48% of the employees being Hispanic, African-American, Asian and two or more racial backgrounds.
- LYFT: Lyft is a ride-hailing gig-platform. It has been aiming to diversify its workplace over the past few years and has been continuously monitoring its progress in this direction through its "diversity report" which shows the company's progress towards increasing ethnicity in the organization and increasing numbers of both Black and Latino employees.
- ETSY: Etsy is a global marketplace that allows anyone to make and sell items. The company has published Guiding Principles which consist of five over-arching statements that Etsy strives to work by. Included in this group of five Guiding Principles is the theme of "embracing differences." The company states: "Diverse teams are stronger, and inclusive cultures are more resilient. When we seek out different perspectives, we make better decisions and build better products." They state succinctly that "diversity fits our mission." As of 2019, more than 30% of their engineers are people of color.
- FIVERR: Fiverr is a freelance platform that allows users to sell their technical skills and expertise. The company recently embarked on new ad campaign named "Connections" to showcase the diversity in their workforce. The company brings together people working in over 190 different countries and aims to create new work relationships every day.