Mobile Interface Branding Case Studies
Microsoft and GOMO limited are brands that have developed mobile interfaces that they are using to increase the penetration of their brand through tactical marketing strategies. Microsoft mobile interface for Android phones, Microsoft Launcher, offers extensive syncing capabilities with Microsoft products. GOMO limited mobile interfaces for android phones, GO launcher and Zero launcher, offer access to other GOMO limited products while delivering partnership opportunities.
MICROSOFT: Microsoft Android Launcher
- Microsoft is a global technology company that offers diversified services including file hosting (One Drive), work productivity tools (Micosoft Office, Mail, and Calendar) and sharing tools (Skype).
- The Microsoft Launcher is a mobile interface that delivers capability to sync Android phones with Microsoft accounts.
- Users of Microsoft Launcher can sync their home and office computer with phones. Essentially, Microsoft Launcher offers direct sync between computer and phone through Microsoft's OneDrive.
- In addition to OneDrive, Microsoft Launcher users can continue working on web pages, Office docs, and photos that they were working on their computer.
- Importantly, users of the Microsoft mobile interface have direct contact with their customizable feed on their computer. Users can also customize icons, themes, and wallpapers in tandem with their computer or per their independent choices.
- Microsoft Launcher delivers calendar organization tools that can link to work and home calendar, which delivers seamless organization.
- Importantly, Microsoft Launcher offers Microsoft Family users the capability of extending child monitoring in Microsoft Family to their children's phones. As such, parents can keep tabs on their children's phone use.
- Microsoft android mobile interface has over 10 million downloads on the Google Play store.res
GOMO LIMITED: Go Launcher and Z launcher
- Sungy Mobile Limited is a Chinese company with global operations whose focus is on providing premium services that advance consumer mobile experience. It operates three main companies GOMO limited, Sungy reading and 3G portal.
- GOMO limited operates the GO series apps on the android play store (Google Play). GOMO limited apps have reached a cumulative audience of 1.36 billion users globally.
- The Go series apps include GO Launcher, GO SMS, GO Locker, GO calendar, GO Keyboard, Z camera, Z launcher, and GO Speed among others.
- Go Launcher and Z launcher (Zero Launcher) are mobile interfaces that offer personalization of the Android home screen. GO Launcher has over 300 million downloads on the android play store whereas Zero Launcher has over 50 million downloads.
- Both launchers by GOMO limited account for over 25% of total app downloads by GOMO limited.
- Critically, GO launcher and Zero Launcher have been instrumental in creating awareness and access to other GO series apps that have been bundled within the launchers.
- Initial appeal of other Go Series apps from the mobile interfaces has gained crossover appeal among other non-mobile interface users. GO SMS pro is a beneficiary of this tactical marketing strategy as it has over 100 million downloads.
- The success of GO Launcher and Zero Launcher have provided opportunities for GOMO Limited to become Google's and Facebook's commercial partner. To date, GOMO limited is the largest Facebook partner in the Asia Pacific Region.
In order to determine brands using mobile interfaces as part of their tactical brand approach, we undertook extensive research across news and industry sources that included the Google Play Store and Apps Samurai. From the preliminary research, we identified two brands examples. Your research team was keen to identify tactical marketing strategies utilized by identified brands by engaging in additional research on the brands and their mobile interfaces across their corporate websites.