Digital Trends - Bermuda
In Bermuda, nearly 99% population out of total 60.3 thousand are internet users, and 87% of the population are active mobile users. In 2019, it is expected that mobile phone subscriptions in Bermuda would increase by 1.6% and internet users will increase by 0.4%, adding about 217 new users.
DIGITAL TRENDS AND STATS OF INTERNET AND MOBILE USERS IN BERMUDA
- In Bermuda, 99% of the population, or about 60.3 thousand people are internet users and 53.3 thousand people, or 87% of the population are active mobile users.
- Excluding social media usage, the internet surfers of Bermuda conduct maximum google searches around search queries related to Bermuda (100%), weather (10%), Royal Gazette (8%), Bernews (8%), and Google (7%).
- Compared to males, more than 50% of females are more active users of the internet, especially social media.
- According to WorldBank data, the mobile cellular subscriptions in Bermuda has been steadily rising. In 2017, about 106 thousand subscriptions were active compared to 62 thousand in 2015.
- In 2017, about 93.5% of the businesses surveyed in Bermuda reported the use of computers for business operations, registering an increase of +4.8% points from the year 2016.
- According to the Hootsuite's "The Global State of Digital in 2019 Report", about 76.7 thousand people or 126% of the Bermuda population have mobile subscription.
- For 2019, it is expected that mobile phone subscriptions in Bermuda would increase by 1.6% and the internet users will increase by 0.4%, adding another 217 people.
- About 22% of mobile connections in Bermuda are prepaid, while 78% are postpaid subscriptions.
- A large population of digital audience on Bermuda, comprising adults aged 13+ can be reached with adverts on social media including 73% on Facebook, 48% on Instagram, 41% on Twitter, and 93% on LinkedIn.
- The overall percentage of population using internet in Bermuda has increased from 84.2% in 2010 to nearly 98.37% in 2017.
INTERNET AND GENERAL BROADBAND CONNECTIVITY IN BERMUDA
- According to the Internet Word Stats nearly 100% of population in Bermuda or about 60.1 thousand individuals are active internet users and more than 73% users have access to broadband, 3G, or 4G connections.
- In Bermuda, the preference to opt for fixed-line broadband connections have been dropping lately, i.e., from 40,100 connections in 2013 to just 22,808 subscriptions in 2017.
- The Internet usage penetration has largely increased in Bermuda from 39.2% in 2000 to about 98% in 2018. The internet cost has been on a sharp decline since 2004, which has led to increase in the number of internet cafes and local Internet Service Providers (ISP).
- To cater the growing demand for the high speed internet access in Bermuda, the government initiated a community portal program aimed at senior citizens. The community centers are operated by government and provide internet access in public places like post offices, libraries, and other public buildings.
- It is noted that about 54.9% of businesses in Bermuda used an internal network in 2017, which increased from 53.2 5% in 2016. The most commonly used network was a local area network at 35.6% followed by a private internal network (intranet) used by about 30.0% of businesses in Bermuda.
- The Hootsuite's "The Global State of Digital in 2019 Report states that 60.3 thousand people in Bermuda use internet, i.e., about 99% of the population.
- According to the report, in 2018-19, the active social media users across any device in Bermuda would decrease by 2.3%, and the number of people that used social media on mobile devices would increase by 2.7%, adding nearly +1000 people.
- In Bermuda the number of secure internet servers per 1 million people have increased from 7,875 in 2017 to 8,145 servers in 2018.
- The estimated cost of a DSL broadband in Bermuda is in the range of $29.95 for 128K connection to $99.95 for 512K connection. The cost of a slower dial-up service is about $19.95.
- Around 75.7% of businesses in Bermuda use WiFi enabled devices for their daily operations. The top uses of WiFi enabled devices were sending e-mails (92.6%), internet banking (88.4%), and getting information about goods and services (84.0%).
SOCIAL MEDIA STATS
- In Bermuda, nearly 71% of the population is active on social media and 62% use social media specifically on mobile devices, i.e., about 38 thousand people.
- According to the Google trends report 2019, the top social media queries by internet users in Bermuda include YouTube (9%), Google (7%), Facebook (6%), Amazon (4%), and Yahoo (2%).
- In Bermuda, the number of monthly active users on social media include — 38 thousand on Facebook, 25 thousand on Instagram, 21.2 thousand on Twitter, and 45 thousand on LinkedIn.
- The quarterly social media audience growth is expected to be as follows — Facebook (-5%), Instagram (0%), Twitter (+8.2%), and LinkedIn (0%).
- The top YouTube queries in 2019 are music (100%), Bermuda (53%), movies (52%), fortnite (47%), drake (41%), and NBA (30%).
ONLINE TRANSACTIONS AND RELATED STATISTICS
- According to the recent google trends report, majority of the google queries related to transactions and banking on were conducted for HSBC (3%) and HSBC Bermuda (2%).
- Bermuda has been limiting the access and effectiveness of electronic commerce due to the protectionism legislation wherein the local laws do not allow foreign corporations to own more than 40% of a local business and the local owners do not have a bulk buying capacity like multi-national corporations.
- In Bermuda, internet banking (88.4%) is very popular with businesses; the cloud services are used by 48.6% of businesses in 2017, registering a rise of 7.1% points over 2016.
- Around 37.1% businesses receive orders via the internet, indicating the trend of rising e-commerce in Bermuda, an increase of 0.6 % points is noted for the year 2016-17, to reach 7.6% points in 2017.
- Online Banking and mobile banking apps are offered to customers by major banks in Bermuda comprising Butterfield Bank (38% market share in local banking market) and HSBC Bank of Bermuda Ltd (47% of market share in the local banking market).
- Paid report: The subscription based market report on an overview of the telecom markets in Bermuda and other Caribbean provides insights on the Bermuda mobile subscribers and penetration along with other related information on the digital users and statistics.
- To provide a comprehensive report that details the general trends, digital trends, and stats of internet and mobile users in the Islands of Bermuda; we initiated the search by studying the Hootsuite document provided in the strategy document along with other references related to insights from the World Bank data on internet users, broadband subscriptions, social media trends, and other stats on the internet users and mobile users in Bermuda.
- Additionally, we researched through the internet world stats market research report on Bermuda to get detailed information on the internet penetration, mobile, internet, broadband, and e-commerce usage trends for Bermuda. We also included in our report, the key information related to the broadband status and internet access programs being promoted by the government to meet the rising consumer demand for high speed internet access in Bermuda.
- Next, the news forums like bernews, gotobermuda, bermuda-online.org, gov.bm, among other were explored in depth to identify the additional insights on the trends and statistics of the business usage of internet, broadband, WiFi devices, ecommerce, online transactions, and other internet or mobile usage stats. Additionally, it was found that large banks in Bermuda which have more than 30-47% market share in local banking provide a broad range of online banking and mobile banking apps and transaction facilities to consumers.
- Through extrapolating all the relevant insights and corroborating with multiple credible sources from recent years all the required information related to the request has been detailed in the key findings section.
- A paid subscription based Telecommunications Reports for Bermuda was also identified, it features detailed statistics on the overview of the telecom market and its consumers usage in the country. The link to the report is mentioned under the 'Other Information' sub-header.