BHP - Social Media Analysis
BHP has a social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Some major overarching themes on the company's social media pages are diversity and inclusion and corporate social responsibility.
- On average, the company posts every 5 days, however, posts can also be seen on certain days between the average 5-day period.
- On this platform, the main overarching theme of the company's posts is on employee showcase/recognition. A very good number of the company's posts are those showcasing the diverse backgrounds of their employees, as well as the company's support for employees and their family members including those who are young families or even expectant mothers.
- Another prevalent theme on BHP's Facebook platform its diversity and inclusion. The company proudly flaunts its support for gender balance, the LGBT+ community, and speaks against homophobia.
- Other noteworthy themes include the company's interests and investments in clean energy especially in the area of reducing carbon emissions, and positive contribution to climate change.
- They also showcase pictures and videos from their mining sites located globally in countries such as Chile, Trinidad & Tobago, and Australia.
- On this platform, BHP has 40,600+ followers and has posted tweets 2,523 times (at the time of our research) since it joined in November 2013.
- Although the company has an irregular posting schedule on its Twitter platform, they can be seen posting at least twice weekly.
- The general theme on the company's Twitter page is communicating key happenings within the company. These include information on investments into a new company, or in new technology such as virtual reality. They also share information on the company's financial performance and operational advancements.
- Another noticeable theme on this platform is the company's corporate social responsibility activity, especially in the areas of partnership with organizations to tackle development challenges such as illiteracy and poverty and conservation.
- Other posts are related to the company's efforts in clean energy, specifically reducing carbon emissions and climate change.
- BHP's LinkedIn page has 520,372 followers.
- The company isn't very active on this platform as posts are released monthly on the average.
- A good number of the posts on this platform were also shared across other social media accounts belonging to the company.
- Like its Facebook page, one of the major overarching themes on this platform is employee recognition. Majority of its posts feature an employee of the company with a captivating backstory, in its bid to show off the company's stand on topics such as diversity and gender balance. They also show off recruits and employees who have served the company for a very long time.
- A good number of posts are dedicated to accountability, as they showcase work progress and in some cases results from the company's mining sites worldwide. These posts usually highlight key points such as the implementation of innovative technology, company adherence to work safety, and automation implementation.
- Other notable themes include highlighting use cases for the company's major products including nickel and copper, and the company's commitment to collaboration with local businesses in the countries where they operate.
- Although the company's subscriber information is hidden from the public, they have over 2.3 million views and over 100 videos.
- The company uploads videos at least 4 times in a month although there have been instances where as many as 8 videos have been uploaded in a month.
- The major overarching themes on this platform are communication and accountability, with many videos featuring interviews and performance statements from some of the company's top-level executives including the chief executive officer and the chief financial officer.
- Many uploads are centered around the company's recurrent employee showcase theme where they recognize many of their employees showing off a diverse and contented workforce.
- Lastly, the company also uploads videos showcasing its project sites located in different countries, and work progress on those sites.