Millennial and Gen Z Female Media Usage
Gen Z women prefer YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat while for millennial women Facebook still rules, followed by YouTube. Both Gen Z and millennial women are open to seeing branded content on social media.
Preferred Social Media — Gen Z
- According to a survey where 65% of the respondents were female, Gen Z's preferred media channels are YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Gen Z uses Facebook much less than millennials.
- Tik Tok is an up-and-coming social platform for Gen Z.
Preferred Social Media — Millennials
- Millennial women are most likely to use Facebook, followed by Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Millennials in general prefer YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. More women than men use Facebook, and more men than women use YouTube.
Gen Z's Use of Social Media
- Gen Z uses social media for brand discovery, primarily Instagram followed by Facebook. However, before making a purchase, most members of Gen Z will look for further information on YouTube.
- Gen Z women are most likely out of all generations to follow influencers on Instagram.
- Gen Z women use social media even when shopping in stores, to share their experiences or ask for advice.
- One of the most popular retail categories for Gen Z women to follow on social media is beauty.
- Gen Z is interested in trying new technologies like augmented reality.
Millennial's Use of Social Media
- Millennials tend to use more social media platforms regularly than Gen Z.
- On social media, Millennial women are most likely to share personal photos/videos, funny things, product/service recommendations, educational information and resources, and news stories.
- 60% of Millennial women enjoy sharing significant life events on social media.
- Millennial women prefer image-based product discovery on social media, with Instagram being their preferred channel to encounter branded content.
- Millennials use their laptops only slightly more than their mobile phones to access the internet.
- Millennial women use social media to obtain inspiration for beauty, food, and home.
The research team was only able to provide limited insights into the social media habits of women for each generation. Therefore, we supplemented with information about both sexes in each generation. Since women are the primary users of social media, we believe these findings are still extremely relevant.