Microsoft was founded in 1975 by William H. Gates III with three product lines namely Office, Windows, and Xbox. In the past 12 months, the company launched two Windows 10 updates (2018 & 2019), Xbox One S, Surface Pro 6, Surface Go, and Office 2019. Below is an overview of the findings.
- Microsoft was founded in 1975 by William H. Gates III.
- Microsoft's headquarters is Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052-7329, USA.
- The official website of Microsoft.
- Microsoft has 140,768 employees worldwide.
- The licensing, manufacturing, operations, and logistics of Microsoft are located in Dublin, Ireland.
- Microsoft allows for digital transformation in an age of "an intelligent cloud and an intelligent edge." The mission of the company is to "empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more."
- Microsoft Corp. has an affiliate Microsoft Mobile Oy that produces and sells Nokia X mobile phones and other devices.
- Office is one of Microsoft's product lines available for home and office use. Its featured product is Microsoft applications such as Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Sharepoint, OneNote.
- Windows is another product line of Microsoft which features computer software, programs, set, and support. It also provides product supports for laptops, computers, gaming PC, and mobile phones.
- Xbox is a third product line of Microsoft meant for the premier gaming community and offers Xbox devices to consumers.
Product launches within the last 12 months
- Microsoft launched a smaller and cheaper version of Apple's iPad named Surface Go in June 2018. The Surface Go tablet has a 10-inch screen, is 8.3mm thick, and weighs 522g.
- The Surface Go tablet is worth £380 in the United Kingdom and $399 in the United States.
WINDOWS 10 UPDATE (2018) & WINDOWS 10 UPDATE (2019)
- The update for Windows 10 was launched and part of the goal to provide a great update experience for the users of the product.
XBOX ONE S (2019)
- This product was launched in May 2019 and has high dynamic range graphics, 4K video streaming resolution, and spatial radio (Premium Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio).
- The price of this product is $299.00 for the Xbox One S and $249.00 for the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition.
SURFACE PRO 6 (2018)
- This product was launched in October 2018 and was defined as "ultra-light & versatile". It has an Eighth Generation Intel® Core™ processor and provides the Windows 10 home experience.
- The price of this product starts at $799.
- The Corporate Vice President of Microsoft 365, Jared Spataro, announced in September 2018 that Office 2019 is available for Windows and Mac.
- This will be available for consumers and commercial customers in China, India, and Japan.
Annual revenue and financial highlights
- The 2018 revenue of Microsoft was $110.360 billion.
- The growth rate from 2017 to 2018 was 14%, or $13.8 billion.
- Its gross margin increased by $9.7 billion across each segment.
- Microsoft's sales and marketing expenses increased to $2 billion or 13% because of commercial cloud, gaming, and advertisement.
- Its general and administrative expenses are $273 million because of LinkedIn expenses.
- The operating income is $6 billion or 21% driven by growth across each segment.
- William H. Gates III is the Founder & Technology Adviser of Microsoft Corp. and Reid Hoffman is a partner (Greylock Partners).
- Hugh Johnston is the Vice Chairman & Chief Financial Officer (PepsiCo, Inc). Teri L. List-stroll is the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, (Gap, Inc.).
- Satya Nadella is the Chief Executive Officer (Microsoft Corporation)
- Charles H. Noski is the former Vice Chairman (Bank of America Corporation), Dr. Helmut Panke is the former Chairman of the Board of Management (BMW AG), and Sandra E. Peterson is the former Group Worldwide Chairman (Johnson & Johnson).
- Penny Pritker is a Founder and Chairman (PSP Partners).
- Charles W. Scharf, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation).
- Arne Sorenson, President & CEO (Marriot International, Inc.)
- John W. Stanton, Chairman (Trilogy Partnerships)
- John W. Thompson, Chairman (Microsoft Corporation)
- Padmasree Warrior, Former Chief Development Officer (NIO Inc) & Chief Executive Officer (NIO USA, Inc.)