Men's Mid-range Watch Market - Top Brands
Shinola, Lum-Tec Watches, DuFrane Watches, Hager Watches, and Martenero are five of the top American men’s watch brands in the mid-range price segment based on revenue.
- Shinola, whose men’s watches are in the price range of $395 to $1,650, has an estimated revenue of $68 million. This revenue, however, is inclusive of the company’s sales of leather goods, clocks, bicycles, and jewelry as well.
- The brand is based in Detroit, Michigan.
- The brand promises quality craftsmanship and products that are meant to last.
- Lum-Tec Watches, whose men’s watches are in the price range of $435 to $1,095, has an estimated revenue of $12 million.
- The brand is based in Mentor, Ohio.
- The brand promises high-quality, handcrafted watches and fast and personalized customer service.
- DuFrane Watches, whose men’s watches are in the price range of $699 to $1,399, has an estimated revenue of $5 million.
- The brand is based in Austin, Texas.
- The brand promises watch designs that exude “a sense of adventure, freedom, and a desire to live life to the fullest.”
- Hager Watches, whose men’s watches are in the price range of $550 to $1165, has an estimated revenue of $4 million.
- The brand is based in Hagerstown, Maryland.
- The brand promises quality, value, and style, and timepieces whose appeal can be described as contemporary, fresh, and energetic, and whose provenance is rooted in real stories.
- Martenero, whose men’s watches are in the price range of $595 to $750, has an estimated revenue of $0.25 million.
- The brand is based in New York City.
- It promises well-crafted watches that are “original and contemporary, but always timeless.” Its tagline, “Tradition Refreshed,” best summarizes its value proposition.
The difficult part was determining the prices covered by the mid-range segment. We could not find a clear and consistent definition of the mid-range segment, so we took into account the goal of this project.
Since the research will be used to inform the go-to-market strategy of Jack Mason, an American watch brand that has been selling affordable but high-quality men’s watches in the price range of $159 to $399 for several years now, and we were asked to focus on the space between fashion and luxury men’s watches, we assumed that the new market that Jack Mason is interested in entering has a price range that is slightly above $159 to $399. Given that Hamilton is considered a mid-range watch brand and its watches are mostly in the price range of $400 to $1,500, we decided that it was safe to make this assumption.
To identify American watch brands, we referred to lists published by Man of Many, The Good Trade, Territory Supply, and Ask Men. The American men’s watch brands in these lists were then researched individually for their price range and revenue. As can be seen in the provided spreadsheet, corporate websites, ZoomInfo, LinkedIn, and news articles were consulted, and Shinola, Lum-Tec Watches, DuFrance Watches, Hager Watches, and Martenero were identified as five of the top men’s watch brands in the mid-range price segment. The other brands in the spreadsheet, Detroit Watch Company, Throne Watches, Mercer, and Brew Watch Co., were excluded from consideration because the prices of their watches are mostly above or below the price range of $400 to $1,500.