Medical Industry Email Best Practices Part 1
Email best practices in the B2B medical industry in the area of subject line involves being short and straight-to-the-point, as most medical practitioners are usually very busy. Unfortunately, there are no examples of B2B medical industry event email campaigns in the public domain; however, the research examined two significant B2B event email subject lines as a proxy for the required information. The needed information and screenshots of emails are in slides 2-3 of this attached Google Presentation.
B2B MEDICAL INDUSTRY EMAIL SUBJECT LINES
- According to Kuno Creative, subject line best practice for emails in the B2B medical industry is to be short and straight-to-the-point. The report observed that medical practitioners are "notoriously busy and difficult-to-reach," which demands that subject lines intended for them should immediately communicate the value they would get by opening the email.
- In the report by Kuno Creative, an example of successful email in the B2B medical industry by a medical device manufacturer had the subject line, "The Top Cardiothoracic Surgeons of 2017." As per Kuno Creative's report, this subject line was straight to the point, short, less than 50 characters.
- Also, the email subject line quickly communicated to recipients, who were cardiothoracic surgeons, that its content listed the best people in their practice, thereby increasing curiosity and click-through-rates. This email got 50.7% open rate and a 40.4% click-through rate, respectively, according to Kuno Creative's report.
- The required details and screenshots are in slides 2-3 of this attached Google Presentation.
HELPFUL FINDINGS FOR EMAIL SUBJECT LINES REVEVANT TO B2B MEDICAL EVENTS
- According to HubSpot, all B2B email types need subject lines that are informative and compelling to pique the interest of its recipients and as much as possible. Also, it should be personalized for a specific audience.
- Among Really Good Emails list of successful B2B event email campaigns is one by Content2Convert with the subject line, "#C2C16 Helps Drive Demand For A TOUCHDOWN!" The company included a tag of the event promoted and a pain point that was relevant to recipients in the subject line, which helped to promote the event and highlight what recipients would gain by attending the event.
- Another successful B2B event email listed by Really Good Emails from Google had the subject line, "Registration is now open for Next ’19." This subject line suggests that B2B event emails could concentrate on announcing the event it was promoting in its subject line.
- According to Kuno Creative, it is difficult to reach medical practitioners due to their tight work schedules; hence, to gain their attention, a B2B email subject line should play to their interests irrespective of what it is promoting.
To identify examples of email best practices in the B2B medical industry relevant to subject lines and B2B subject lines specific to events, we investigated directories of trusted marketing and email marketing solution providers in search of information apropos of the request. Domains we researched include HubSpot, Campaign Monitor, and others. This investigation produced a report by Kuno Creative highlighting an example of a successful B2B medical industry email, having a subject line with best-practice attributes. Also, the report by Kuno Creative showed metrics revealing how the subject line of this email led to the success of the email campaign. Therefore, we used this example for an excellent B2B email in the medical industry with a good subject line. Unfortunately, there no report in the public domain with examples of B2B event emails in the medical industry.
Next, we investigated the Really Good Emails platform, which is a directory of successful email campaigns. Again, there were no examples of event emails specific to B2B medical industry. As a third strategy, we researched the websites of medical and healthcare companies, hoping to find information apropos of events hosted by them. We took this approach, trying to identify the subject lines of email campaigns they used to promote their events. Companies we researched include Aetna, John & Johnson, Cardinal Health, and others. Although this investigation produced reports of events hosted by these companies, there was no report in the public domain with insights into the email campaigns they used to promote such events.
Hence, due to the lack of information specific to B2B subject lines of emails for medical events, we expanded the research the investigation to B2B event email subject lines, as a proxy for the required information. For this, we looked at successful email subject lines used to promote events in the B2B space in Really Good Emails' platform and provided highlights of them in this report.