AKC National Championships, Westminster Dog Show and the National Dog Show- Media Coverage
Some key themes on the AKC National Championships that are covered in the media include the expansion of sponsorship by Royal Canin, and 2019 being the third year of having Royal Canin as the presenting sponsor.
THE AKC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- PRNewswire stated that the AKC National Championship would be presented by Royal Canin, returning to Animal Planet as a four-hour special on first January 2019.
- Royal Canin was obsessed about making dogs healthier through nutrition, and they are proud to be a part of the AKC National Championship to celebrate the uniqueness of breeds and how they impact people's lives.
- Media Post wrote that Royal Canin is expanding its sponsorship of the AKC National Championship Dog Show; 2019 is the third year that Royal Canin is the presenting sponsor.
- Royal Canin also launched a photo contest on its website asking handlers and breeders to upload a photo of their dog for a monetary prize for their breed’s parent club. The contest had more than 21,592 submissions, representing all 192 AKC breeds.
- The Eukanuba brand, part of the Royal Canin, also became the sponsor of companion events that included a world record attempt for the longest jump. TropiClean Pet Products and WeatherTech, maker of vehicle accessories, are the other sponsors.
- PetBusiness stated that TropiClean Pet Products had its first-time sponsorship of the AKC National Championship, presented by the Royal Canin in the 2019 show.
- Tropiclean provided product samples of Fresh Breath and Oral Care Gel for the competing dogs and attendees during the AKC National Championships event at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando.
THE WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW
- According to a Bloomberg publication, two new breeds appeared at Westminster, the grand basset griffon Vendeen and the Nederlandse kooikerhondje, after both of the breeds were recognized by the American Kennel Club.
- The recognition process takes years and includes setting standards and having hundreds of dogs spread around the country, with each of them getting a nationally televised turn among the more than 200 breeds and varieties on the green carpet at the nation's premier canine contest.
- Fox News' Officials also announced that Westminster Kennel Club dog show would welcome two new dog breeds into their elite dog show competition in February 2019, the grand basset griffon Vendeen and the Nederlandse kooikerhondje breeds.
- NYPost stated that there would be a tough competition at the Westminster Kennel Club dog show in 2019 because the new breeds would be joining the existing population of 3,200 canines and 190 breeds.
THE WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW CANCELED
- The DailyMail announced that the Westminster dog of the year contest was canceled for the safety of the pets and their owners, amid an increase in the protests around the parliament.
- The Westminster Kennel Club said that the club and the Dogs Trust had to cancel the show for safety reasons, but that the winner of 'pawblic' vote would still be announced. [source 7]
- Metro News stated that issues such as Brexit had more dominance and pushed the Westminster dog of the year show aside, as a result.
- The event had been canceled for the second time in two weeks, amid safety concerns for the MPs taking part. The contest had been running for 27 years and opened to all parliamentarians’ dogs, regardless of breed, creed or pawlitical persuasion.
THE NATIONAL DOG SHOW
- IBTimes revealed that one of the widely popular shows, The National Dog Show's 17th annual Thanksgiving Day would air from 12 noon to 2 p.m. in all zones in the United States on Thanksgiving.
- The show was held on a Saturday and Sunday and the NBC. The host was John O'Hurley, who had been the host since its inaugural year in 2002, with David Frei as co-host and expert analyst.
- Newsweek also announced that the popular National Dog Show was aired after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday, on NBC. The airing took a five-hour block on the broadcasting station's lineup.
- NBC Sports correspondent Mary Carillo, who had been with the show since 2010, was to serve as a correspondent, according to NBC. John O'Hurley said in an NBC press release that he was proud to be the part of the legacy in a rich history of dog breeds.
- US Magazine also published that the animal event is set to air in all time zones at noon on NBC on Thursday, November 22, immediately after the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- If US citizens were traveling at that time, they could watch via the NBC Sports app on their mobile devices or tablets. Instead of David Frei and Mary Carillo, Olympic figure skaters Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir were to all things backstage.
We leveraged information on key themes in the media on the AKC National Championships, the Westminster Dog Show and the National Dog Show from news agencies such as the Mirror, FoxNews, and PRNewswire. We found that the key themes on the National Dog Show were about where and how to watch it.