McDonald's Big Mac Facts: Global
The 15 interesting facts about McDonald's Big Mac provided below include its prices across different countries, various unique versions, and other information. The Big Mac in Hong Kong was considered undervalued in 2018. Localized versions of the Big Mac include “El Maco” and “Greek Mac.”
- Since 2012, McDonald’s Korea has been holding a Big Mac Song Competition annually where the winner will earn an opportunity to star in a Big Mac TV commercial.
- According to The Economist’s July 2018 edition of the Big Mac Index, Hong Kong’s Big Mac was undervalued by 53.8% when compared to the United States’ version.
- The Big Mac Jr. was first introduced in the United States in 2017 but made its debut in Japan only in April 2019.
- The Big Mac is not available in India as it contains beef.
- The Scandinavian version of a Big Mac called “El Maco” is available in Denmark, Sweden, and Finland.
- The menu of McDonald’s Finland includes a gluten-free Big Mac.
- The Grand Big Mac Chicken is available only in Spain and other selected European countries.
- The Greek version of the Big Mac called “Greek Mac” is served in a pita bun instead of the traditional bun that McDonald's typically uses.
- As of 2018, the most expensive Big Mac in the United Kingdom can be found in Ludgate Hill, London and Retail Park, Stevenage.
- In January 2019, McDonald's lost its rights to the trademark “Big Mac” in the European Union to Ireland-based fast-food chain Supermac’s.
The UNITED STATES/GLOBAL
- On August 24, 2016, American Donald Gorske set a “Guinness World Record for most Big Macs consumed” (28,788).
- In 2017, McDonald’s launched a Big Mac ATM in Boston that dispensed the original version, Mac Jr. and, Grand Mac after customers “paid” with their Twitter handles.
- The Grand Mac was first introduced as a limited item in January 2017 and was re-released for a limited time again in January 2018 in the United States and selected markets.
- In August 2018, McDonald’s launched the MacCoin in the United States and over 50 countries that allowed customers to “share, collect, or redeem for a free Big Mac.”
- In January 2019, McDonald’s launched the new Big Mac Bacon in the United States.