Marketing Department Structure: Small and Mid-Size Companies
Vice President/Head of Marketing, Marketing Manager and Marketing Director, Market Researchers, Public Relations Employees, and Designers and Creative team are typical organizational structure of the marketing department in small to mid-sized companies in the United States.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE OF INTERNAL MARKETING DEPARTMENT; SMALL TO MID-SIZED COMPANIES
- Vice President/Head of Marketing: The person is the overall in charge of the marketing team and is involved in planning and creating the marketing strategy for the company, its products or its services.
- Marketing Manager and Marketing Director: The roles are mostly interchangeably used in the internal marketing department. These team members are involved in creating marketing messages, choosing mediums and carrying out other marketing campaigns.
- Market Researchers: The market researchers are employed in the internal marketing team to gather information on the customers, market employ tools, such as surveys and focus groups.
- Public Relations Employees: These employees handle public relations and advertising in the organization to promote the business.
- Designers and Creative team: The designers and creative team help the marketing manager create a brochure layout and design to portray the company messaging and are mostly graphic and web designers.
EXAMPLES OF AN INTERNAL MARKETING TEAM; SMALL TO MID-SIZED COMPANIES
- Mid Jet; HQ: SanFrancisco: Products or Services: Apps to help you brainstorm, plan, and manage projects.
- Company size: 215 employees with an estimated annual revenue of $41.8M.
- Internal Marketing structure is Chief Marketing Officer, VP Product Marketing and Marketing Ops, Content and Communication Manager, Creative Services and Field marketing at N-1 level/top and mid-level followed by the support team members for each segment.
- Zendesk; HQ: California: Products or Services: Helpdesk & Customer Support Software
- Company Size: 2,740 employees with an estimated annual revenue of $598.7M.
- Internal Marketing structure is Chief Marketing Officer, Department Head for Product Marketing and Web Development, Department Head for Corporate Communication, Field Marketing and Analytics, Department Head for Content Marketing, Customer Marketing, and Lead and Customer Marketing.
OTHER RELEVANT INSIGHT
- The skill sets required by smaller businesses marketing are content creation, graphic design, technical skills like SEO, social media management, and project management.
- In small businesses the internal marketing team is small and is usually required to wear multiple hats with added skills to take charge.
To describe the typical organizational structure of the internal marketing department in small to mid-sized companies in the United States, we began by combing through market reports and surveys from credible sources like Idem reports, Britishprint reports, CIO report and Cleverism reports; news articles from HBR, Forbes, Hubspot, and Smallbusiness reports. This strategy was successful as we were able to unearth the required information.